Coop and Run Build for 50 Chickens

You are definitely accomplishing you stated goal of making it look nice! You are a lot braver than me. I would have to put the HC down after the walls and roof were on or I would step through it a dozen times. It looks great!

Quote: Agrees.....I think you're going to regret that mesh floor pretty fast.
You don't really want to have to power wash it...the healthiest and best smelling coops are dry....not a great thing to do to your framing lumber anyway.
Plus then you'd have a bunch of wet poop under the coop, fly city..... not to mention the odor.
There are other drawbacks, but I'll stop there, sorry.

I didnt have much time to work on the coop this week but was able to get in one door, one window, and at least start the siding to get a good idea of what it will look like. It took me about an hour just to put the door in because the whol door fram fell apart on me and needed to be rebuilt! a pain but I got it done and it was definitely a relief when it was in place haha.

You are definitely accomplishing you stated goal of making it look nice! You are a lot braver than me. I would have to put the HC down after the walls and roof were on or I would step through it a dozen times. It looks great!
Thank you! i think the wood lap siding will make it quite a pleasant sight when it's all said and one. I wanted the hardware cloth down first so i could use the walls to sandwich the perimiter and help make it that much more secure. I did have one incident though when my younger brother was graciously bringing me some water and stepped right through it on the edge! Cowboy boot and all! It doesn't look too bad though and i think i'll be able to repair it well enough.

Agrees.....I think you're going to regret that mesh floor pretty fast.
You don't really want to have to power wash it...the healthiest and best smelling coops are dry....not a great thing to do to your framing lumber anyway.
Plus then you'd have a bunch of wet poop under the coop, fly city..... not to mention the odor.
I must say that after giving it much thought, i must agree with you. Don't worry though, I'm no one-trick pony. I have three or four different options for redoing the floor quite easily if the hardware cloth fails me. I'm also spraying all the wood that'll be exposed to the chickens with this:

I think it should do a pretty good job at protecting the wood, we shall see! :D

Agrees.....I think you're going to regret that mesh floor pretty fast.
I must say that after giving it much thought, i must agree with you. Don't worry though, I'm no one-trick pony. I have three or four different options for redoing the floor quite easily if the hardware cloth fails me. I'm also spraying all the wood that'll be exposed to the chickens with this:

I think it should do a pretty good job at protecting the wood, we shall see! :D
Awesome!

I'd rethink the Thompsons too, unless it's vastly improved in the last decade.

Last edited:

I didnt have much time to work on the coop this week but was able to get in one door, one window, and at least start the siding to get a good idea of what it will look like. It took me about an hour just to put the door in because the whol door fram fell apart on me and needed to be rebuilt! a pain but I got it done and it was definitely a relief when it was in place haha.
Thank you! i think the wood lap siding will make it quite a pleasant sight when it's all said and one. I wanted the hardware cloth down first so i could use the walls to sandwich the perimiter and help make it that much more secure. I did have one incident though when my younger brother was graciously bringing me some water and stepped right through it on the edge! Cowboy boot and all! It doesn't look too bad though and i think i'll be able to repair it well enough.

I think it should do a pretty good job at protecting the wood, we shall see!
big_smile.png
It it coming along so nice!
Looks great!

I'd rethink the Thompsons too, unless it's vastly improved in the last decade.

Nope, still total junk... It's essentially just paraffin wax dissolved in a light fuel oil, the stuff only last a few months in exposed areas if you are lucky, just slightly longer in unexposed areas...

When I did home remodeling it was a good money maker and repeat business product, they advertise it so well and hype it up to the consumer that homeowners/clients demanded we use it to seal their decks and fences even though we objected and told them it would need to be resealed every 3 months... Needless to say every few months we were back resealing their deck/fence again, and again and again at their cost saying "I told you so"...

A good coat of Drylok basement sealer will far outlast Thompson's, if the goal is to protect the exposed wood in the coop...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom