Coop and run capable of leaving for a 7day vacation?13 chickens

SouthwickRon

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2021
Hi all! I'd like to make a chicken coop that can sustain itself for 7 days while I'm away on vacation. I have 13 chickens that will need a coop and run in about eight weeks when they are old enough. I'm leaning towards having a coop and run that has a roof over both and is completely preditor proof.

Seven days is too long to leave any kind of animals without some kind of check-in in my opinion. A weekend? Sure. But a week is a long time.

You could have a waterer leak or any number of emergencies. Personally I'd put my energy into finding someone who could stop in and check on them at least once in the middle of the week to fill feeders and waterers and make sure everything is okay. With chickens you wouldn't even have to give someone a key to your house.

We have a neighbor who is happy to check in on our hens everyday, they keep all the eggs laid while they chicken sit. We also give them eggs when we have extras. ( they have 2 boys who love the fresh eggs)
We also pet sit for them when the go off for more than a day.
It's really a win/win situation for both of us. :celebrate
Perhaps you could find someone who you could do the same with, Good luck

IMO, more than a few days is too long to leave animals without care no matter how carefully you calculate how much food and water they need. There could be spills. There could be leaks. There could be storm damage. There could be predator intrusion.

With chickens you also can expect breakage and spoilage as eggs pile up in the nest boxes that could create long-term egg-eating problems.

Thank you for your reply I totally agree with you. In the past I had 6 chickens for many years and I would go away for three days maximum and make the trip back home just to take care of the chickens and guinea pigs.

I run into the same problem with my chickens, it's very hard for me to go on vacation longer than a long weekend because I live in the suburbs and I don't really know anyone willing to take care of them. So I go and visit the family lake house for a few days at a time instead of taking long vacations. I actually gave up my chickens last fall when I found out I'd have to be away from home for over a month, so I'm starting over now.

My neighbor is really interested in visiting with my baby chicks when they show up today or tomorrow so hopefully I can talk her into taking care of the chickens in the fall at least once or twice during the week I'm at the beach in exchange for free eggs (and I'm willing to watch her dog while she's on vacation too).

We're on good terms and I just gave her half a dozen free tomato transplants last week so we'll see!

When y’all do go on vacation or a long weekend trip what do y’all do about the coop door
Scroll to bottom of this page. Click on automatic coop door.
This is just one of many companies that make these.
I don't have an automatic door on my two coops and so I can't recommend this one or any brand.
They open and close with a light sensor or a set time.
Some are electric, some battery or solar power.
Of course you need to have a big enough coop to install. Most prefab coops may not be. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom