Coop and run Expansion

RTRchicken

Hatching
Jul 12, 2015

Finally got our 2nd and 3rd expansion done on our coop all built from old pallets and repurposed material. Whats everyone think? We miss anything?

Aside from the fact that you are using chicken wire you havent missed anything. chicken wire is for keeping chickens in but Dogs and raccoons can go right through it.

You did good with the construction. and I know that hardware cloth is expensive. but when you get a chance just cover areas where the chickens can come next to the sides with hardware cloth. Welded wire for the rest. is better. Strong enough to keep a determined dog out.

I have had experience with loosing chicken or in my case Guinea fowl to raccoons through Chainlink. A coon can reach through a good foot or so and pull a bird through what ever comes off becomes take out. its horrifiying. to find guineas and chickens with legs or heads pulled off ....

and if you dont think you have em... so did I.

deb

Aside from the fact that you are using chicken wire you havent missed anything.  chicken wire is for keeping chickens in but Dogs and raccoons can go right through it.

You did good with the construction.  and I know that hardware cloth is expensive.  but when you get a chance just cover areas where the chickens can come next to the sides with hardware cloth.  Welded wire for the rest. is better.  Strong enough to keep a determined dog out.

I have had experience with loosing chicken or in my case Guinea fowl to raccoons through Chainlink.    A coon can reach through a good foot or so and pull a bird through what ever comes off becomes take out.  its horrifiying.  to find guineas and chickens with legs or heads pulled off ....

and if you dont think you have em...  so did I. 

deb

I have an opossum that lives somewhere nearby. Do they bother chickens? The eggs are safely laid in the housing unit and I do use chicken wire on the run, but there's a small gap I'm a little concerned about.

I have an opossum that lives somewhere nearby. Do they bother chickens? The eggs are safely laid in the housing unit and I do use chicken wire on the run, but there's a small gap I'm a little concerned about.

Possums will go for chicks, bantams and full grown chickens, yes... I've heard many say they don't bother full grown chickens, but I have had personal experience with them killing full grown chickens this last year... usually if there is feed out that they can eat, they'll go for that first, but as they get comfortable and realize the chickens are sitting ducks at night then they can go for bigger, live food...

I agree with Deb, put hardware cloth over the chicken wire... possums can easily get through chicken wire without a gap... good luck and keep your eyes open for that guy to come looking...

Thanks! I only found him accidentally when I left cat food out on my porch one night and he set off the motion light on my deck
1f628.png

Ugh!! Good luck... I've eliminated 4 this year so far... if you get rid of it (however you decide to deal with it) don't get too comfortable... others will fill the gap left open for them in the territory... :/

I have pretty wide vents above the windows on both coops and they have welded wire in those and the windows. I have had the windows open all summer just closed them since we have had a few 20 degree nights

Back
Top Bottom