Coop and run for 6 chickens.

6Micks

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
I am new to this. I want to get 6 chickens. After researching I think I will need:

1. 6'x4' Coop
2. At least 2 nest boxes 12"x12" or 18"x18"
3. 6'x10' run. (They will most likely not be free-range. Not allowed in my area.)
a. Can the 6'x10' run include space under the coop?

Does this all sound correct?

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Welcome! That will be the minimum size; BUILD BIGGER! Build as big as you can, because more space is always better, and 'chicken math' happens. I live in Michigan, where it snows, and allow about five sq' ft' per bird, and many are bantams. It still gets cozy in the coop when they don't want to be out in the snow. This spring I tore out my unroofed disintegrating run and rebuilt it with a real roof. I'll still limit my flock for winter; it's not meant to double coop space. You can't overbuild, either. From this, after an ice storm.

To this, unfinished, but way better! I should be able to let the flock in the run area 24/7, without predator concerns. If bears move in here, I'll add electric. Mary

Welcome to BYC!!

Agrees, go bigger, maybe 4x8 or 6x8 or 8x8!!
Nests 14x14x14".

Put your location in your profile...climate can make big difference in how you build.

I am very new to this. I recently built my own coop and run. The coop is 4 x 4 and is elevated. The run is approximately 4x10 (6x10 of that space is actually under the elevated coop). Will this support 3 full size layers and two silkies? Their food and water will be in the run, which is covered. In advance, thanks for your help. I am slowly beginning to realize I should have built my coop to be 4x8.

Update.

After much debate with my wife, (She grew up on a farm and raised Guinnea Hens. Put a bad taste in her mouth for all fowl.) and pleading from my 12yr old daughter, we are going to get some chickens.

We will get 4 6 week old Buff Orpingtons this weekend. I'm cheating and ordered a Coop Kit. I know it is too small but plan to 'Expand' a little before they get too big. Working on the run now.

If all goes well, my daughter holds up her end of the bargain, and my wife sees that not all chickens are loud, obnoxious, and mean, we may expand.

I'll keep you updated.

P.S. I know I'm doing it wrong getting the chicks before the coop and run are ready. That's how we roll. :)
P.S.S. We are in Virginia. Near the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom