Coop and Run Ideas from and for a Newbie-

Run floor covering opinion

• Total voters
  • I plan on having a chicken compost ring, similar to a post I saw on chicken enrichment.
  • Should I plan on another ring filled with loamy sand for the chickens to dust bath in?
You referenced my article! I'm dying of happiness.

Yes, I'd add a satellite box with a dust bath mixture. The compost ring is an awesome idea, but it will get too heavy and damp for bathing.

I'd also stick to mulch and wood chips over sand. Hawaii's pretty wet, right? Sand ideally needs to be kept bone dry.

Also, pick up some cheap 70% shade cloths. They come in every size imaginable, and you can move them around the enclosure to block the worst of the sun. My chickens retreated to the shade at about 75F. Be sure their food and water is also sun protected.

Enough space for 7 hens depends on
  • the shape of the space (long and narrow is problematic; your plan is awesome)
  • There are no choke points such as doorways.
  • whether there is clutter (stumps, benches, bales of straw, anything they can get behind, under, on top of to be out of sight of another hen)
  • whether there is generous resources - multiple feed and water sources, calcium sources, grit, dust bath space, roost space, and so on.
  • how tolerant of confinement the hens are - really active, excitable breeds tend to need more space than docile breeds but not always as much as one might think and there are more factors.
  • how big the chickens are - generally bigger breeds need more space but, again, not always as much as one might think
  • whether the hens like each other
I think your plan is enough space for 7 if there is clutter, generous resources, a breed that tolerates confinement, and they like each other. It might be enough if they have three or four of those five.

Sorry, I have no experience with mongoose, shade or roofs in a climate like yours.

For the run, wood chips and/or mulch such as compost usually works very well. A mix of components tends to work better than a single component.
Love your advice and thoughts. I will be referencing your comment as I prep more and more. Thank you!

Now the only issue is that they don't sell 5-sided wood for a central support, XD
One could build this easily.

Use 1/2" plywood and cut:
- three polygons with 4" sides;
- five 8' lengths of 1/2" plywood 4 1/4 inches wide with sides angle (cut on table saw, 54 degrees I think but CHECK).

Glue and screw everything together.

One could build this easily.

Use 1/2" plywood and cut:
- three polygons with 4" sides;
- five 8' lengths of 1/2" plywood 4 1/4 inches wide with sides angle (cut on table saw, 54 degrees I think but CHECK).

Glue and screw everything together.
That is an option. We shall see once I actually get the dome built and I have the time and space to figure out what I want to do. I appreciate your directions <3

Back
Top Bottom