Coop as a brooder? Need answers FAST!!!

HillTop1

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Southeastern Michigan
Can you use a 16x8 coop as a brooder if it has electricity? It is uninsulated but is new. Can you do it if the weather isn't super cold but still not warm. I live in Southern Michigan. This is my first adventure with chickens, I plan to get them in March. If I can use the coop I'm gong to get 50 chicks but if I can't then I only have the indoor capacity for 25. I need to place my order NOW because I'm getting some rare breeds. Please, and thank you!:D

Yes you can but I would block off a section for the chicks. 16x8 is pretty big for 50 chicks to be running around in. As they get bigger you can enlarge their area.

I agree to block off part of your coop for a brooder. You can use a vary large cardboard box for a week or 2, but 2 foot wide sheets of plywood screwed together in a box make great brooders. I make a lid out of 1/2 inch hardware cloth to go over the top. You can enlarge it as they grow, and eventually let them run the whole coop. Of course you will need 1 or 2 red 250 watt brooder lamps to hang about 18 inches above them, and be able to raise those higher each week when they need less heat. To raise chicks in your house is awful with the dust and dander they produce, and the smell after they are about 2 weeks old. It's like having drywall dust all over your house, trust me, although it is fun to look in on them constantly.

Thank you so much for your help! Good to know about the dust they produce! I have read about it but I didn't know it was that bad. I am going to go order my chicks now. Thanks again!:D:lol:

Back
Top Bottom