Coop Bedding/Litter

We have a large shed turned Zoo.
Plywood painted flooring, we covered with linoleum.
Our floor ended up about 8'x12', Home Depot had a $50 solid roll of linoleum in exactly that size. Yippee! They do have rolls that they will custom cut from.
I had access to an unusual material to put up along the walls, for deep litter method. Ever seen interior of a refrigerated tractor trailer? FIL had one at work getting stripped, so he cut out the material for me. Called Chem-Lite or something to that effect. It's a non porous solid material that comes in sheets about 2' high. Tacked onto walls over the sheetrock, then caulked at floor seam, perfect moisture barrier.

I've been using pine shavings and dry grass clippings on floor. I'm not sure if I'm doing a deep litter method correctly. My chickens poop EVERYWHERE in the coop so there isn't just cleanup under the roosts to do. The poop just kind of sticks to shavings and gets crushed in...
I considered sand but dont think it's a viable option for the size of our coop. Trouble with sand is moisture can potentially build up then cause frostbite. A quick daily scooping like a cat box is the benefit though.

Ok great. My mom gave me Behr premium paint which I used on the outside so far, wasn't sure I could use it inside too. Thanks.
View attachment 1770421
I have also painted the interior of my coop, and sealed any corner gaps in the hopes of mite control. I used an exterior latex paint that I picked up at the ReStore, I think it is Cloverdale but I don't think it really matters. Most paints now have to be VOC free and are water based. The exterior ones have a bit of a plasticy quality to them to weather proof them. I doubt they'd harm chickens as they are pretty well sealed.

I have also painted the interior of my coop, and sealed any corner gaps in the hopes of mite control. I used an exterior latex paint that I picked up at the ReStore, I think it is Cloverdale but I don't think it really matters. Most paints now have to be VOC free and are water based. The exterior ones have a bit of a plasticy quality to them to weather proof them. I doubt they'd harm chickens as they are pretty well sealed.
Thank you for the help. Now for this darn weather to stay nicer than just one or two days a week lol.

I put about 4 coats of paint on every square inch of the inside of my coop before I put my chickens in it. I can say that it has made scrubbing wood surfaces more easy, plus as someone said, it helps that mites have nowhere to hide in painted wood. Then I used pine shavings from a local Farm store. I just recently switched to hemp bedding, and I am completely sold on this stuff. If you do decide to put linoleum on the floor, I would still suggest that you paint everything else, if possible.
I love the look! The white paint brightens the interior very nicely. Did you use latex or oil based? Great idea.

I put about 4 coats of paint on every square inch of the inside of my coop before I put my chickens in it. I can say that it has made scrubbing wood surfaces more easy, plus as someone said, it helps that mites have nowhere to hide in painted wood. Then I used pine shavings from a local Farm store. I just recently switched to hemp bedding, and I am completely sold on this stuff. If you do decide to put linoleum on the floor, I would still suggest that you paint everything else, if possible.
In your opinion, what's better about the hemp bedding? Other than it being more expensive i've yet to read any benefits over shavings.

Looks like Amazon carries Hemp Bedding now too. A brief look at the hemp bedding suggests it absorbs more moisture than pine shavings and composts a little quicker.

I am using Kilz Barn Paint White as at least a base coat on everything so far. It has a matte finish that I think would be not as good for cleaning. I have painted the roost and the nest boxes with it to at least help seal it. I am just using scrap lumber I have found around the house. This paint is non-toxic and safe for animals. Dries quickly so I can get more coats down a little faster. I have 2-3 coats on my nest boxes. It was a little pricey but I was more concerned about sealing anything that could be harmful "in" away from the chickens.

I am plan to use another type of low VOC paint to completely seal things and maybe add some color.

I have laid a "sub floor" in the hen house on top of the dirt. I cut open the thick plastic bags that my wood pellets come in and laid those directly on the dirt as a moisture barrier. I found some thin sheathing plywood that I laid on top of the plastic. The plan is to lay some better quality plywood/wood on top of the sub floor. This layer will be painted to help seal it. Eventually I want to lay linoleum over the painted floor for easier cleaning. I am planning for a roost and a poop board. I am leaning towards sand on the poop board.

Hopefully this weekend the henhouse will be completed and the chicks can be moved out.

Hi all. Newbie here! Just moving my chicks to the coop tomorrow. I'm planning on using the excess pine bedding I have left over until it runs out. The coop floor is just plywood. I've read of people putting linoleum flooring on top of the plywood, then using some sort of bedding. Is this recommended instead of just using bare wood and bedding?

I've also read straw isn't a good, and that sand or sawdust is better than pine. Can anyone give advice? We have 4 chickens, if that makes a difference.
I put down Linoleum which is great to clean up. I put it up the walls more than a foot so I can hose down the floor area. Easy to clean BUT it is reported the chickens when coming down from the roots can be hurt because the floor is now slippery. So far no problems and it has been complete for more than one year. I put down wood chips down under the roosting area and have it fenced so the birds can not go mucking around in the poop. Why put down anything in the areas where the chickens cross to go out? My chickens are in the coop only at night locked up each night for protection from wild animals; but can come in to lay in the day light in nesting boxes which has straw in them and not hay.

If you prefer to not use linoleum/vinyl flooring but want to moisture-proof the floor of your coop there is an alternative to paint. It's a silicone based roofing sealant called "Black Jack 57". I've heard nothing but positive response from the people who have used it(I do not have it in my coop). Just a different option for you to consider.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom