1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

coop bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by banditgin, May 16, 2010.

1. banditgin

banditgin Songster

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    We got chickens again (we lost our last flock or whatever a group of chickens is called). I cleaned out the old shavings and put new shavings in there. but not sure if I need to put more bedding down. right now, except when I put them in our dog yard (sans the dogs of course), they stay in the coop - we've only had them a week and they are only 9 - 10 weeks old. Hopefully we'll get the run built next weekend (we free ranged before and I don't want to do that yet). Our coops is about 8 ft by 8 ft. I put down one bag of bedding and it covered the floor but not that deep (doesn't take much to see the floor (plywood)).

So my question is: how deep do I need to make the bedding?

thanks

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    That sounds right. Are you going with the Deep liter method?

3. MrRushed

MrRushed Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I think your all set. I put a couple of inches down and they just push it all over the place anyways.
    My girls seem to be happy with no isues.

4. banditgin

banditgin Songster

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    I ended up putting more in. If I didn't I would have to clean it more often. I am going to try put a small shovel in there or by there or convenient for me to grab so I can do some spot cleaning when I do their food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: