1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi Fellow backyard chicken keepers [​IMG]

I am new to chicken keeping and have been asking lots of questions.

I am getting my chicks in may and are presently finishing up their coop outside.

Our coop sits off the ground about 4 feet and has a solid wood floor.

Do I need to put straw on the floor of the coop? or is just scraping out
    the poo and rinsing out the coop all that I need to do.

If so how often do I need to change the straw or hay in the coop??

Thanks BYC!

2. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    We use pine shavings on the floor of the coop, which makes cleaning up any poop easier. I just spot clean with a dust pan and a scraper every day -- takes about 2 minutes. I have seen many threads on here describing impacted crops and often they seem to be impacted with hay, so personally I'd avoid that. Others may have more experience with hay and straw and advise differently.
    Good luck and enjoy your new chickens! [​IMG]

3. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I had not read that about hay yet, I am glad that you mentioned using pine shavings.

Now how often do I need to change the shavings?? [​IMG]

4. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Nubie here too!!

I plan to also use pine shavings. On sale at Tractor Supply for $5 a bale. I loaded up.
    My question is what material to use on the floor. I have read other people using linoleum over plywood, or using a close wire mesh, or slats with gaps to let the poop fall through.

We are using plans from the Purina website for our coop and it calls for a 48X48" plywood floor and housing only 4 chicks to start should allow for plenty of room to expand. (dont tell my wife). Not sure if I want to use just the plywood with a layer of shavings, or use some other type of flooring.
    Some have suggested the "deep bedding" method which allows for only having to completely clean the coop maybe twice a year. With only 4 chicks it sounds like a great way to do it. Just add bedding as it get soiled and make sure you keep at least 6".

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I agree with you audioguy, if I can make the bedding work for a few months with out having to change it out
    that is great. I don't mind doing it twice monthly or even monthly. Just whatever is best for the chickens.

I ordered 16 orphingtons so that may call for a little more coop cleaning. not sure, I am just getting started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by