Coop below 32 degrees

The best thing to do with a heat lamp is to NOT have a heat lamp. That is NOT from my 9 months experience as a chicken owner, but rather that comes from 26 years on the fire department.

We are on our first winter keeping chickens as well.. We are bit further north of you (grand Rapids, Michigan) We had wondered about get a panel heater like this one. However after doing a lot of research we concluded that adding heat is not neccessary. Additionally adding heat can be a negative if your chickens do not get acculmated to the cold and you loose power for some reason... that could put them in a dangerous situation. we have already seen temps in the low teens this winter and we believe our chickens are doing fine. We do still worry about them as we do want to be good chicken keepers.

We have a heated waterer and keep their feeders topped off. We also have been giving them a little cracked corn each day. the thinking is that the extra calories will help keep them warm.
That is pretty much the plan I have decided to follow as well. Our low tonight is 6 degrees and we are currently getting snow, so I kept them in the coop today. They looked cozy and happy before I left for work this morning, so I plan to monitor them this evening and go from there. This will likely be the coldest night of the year for us, so I will feel a lot more confident once we get through the next 2 days.

Thanks for your advice!

Our temps are below 0 deg F here but the coop has managed to hover around 3 or 5 deg F (above 0) and my girls seem fine. They snuggle on in the straw and cuddle together! This is our 2nd round of colder weather and have been just fine.

I would agree no heater-risk of fire, breaking, not working all of a sudden then they freeze. They are lovely animals that most of us consider some sort of pet-but ultimately they were made to be outside and live in the weather craziness. The hardier breeds of course will do better and like mentioned above some single combs might get some frostbite.

That is pretty much the plan I have decided to follow as well. Our low tonight is 6 degrees and we are currently getting snow, so I kept them in the coop today. They looked cozy and happy before I left for work this morning, so I plan to monitor them this evening and go from there. This will likely be the coldest night of the year for us, so I will feel a lot more confident once we get through the next 2 days.

Thanks for your advice!
I am over in Evansville, so very similar weather to yours. I am super worried about one of my barred rocks, Nugget. She had the good sense to start her molt the last week of December. Right? She looks pitiful. I have a dog crate set up inside the house, if I could only catch her. I figure if she can outrun me, she's doing okay.

When I went out this morning, they were all standing around in the enclosed portion of their run, not seemingly too bothered (even my molting Nugget). They had no desire to play in the snow. I gave them tons of nice warm veggie mash, and a big bucket of cracked corn to supplement their regular food. Their water bucket is heated, so that won't be a problem. I even put a big tarp over their alread-insulated coop to cut down any drafts.

I just hope ten hot chicken bodies piled up inside their coop will keep it warm enough for Nugget to get past tonight (supposed to get down to 6F, but only during the hours they will be sleeping). Friday is supposed to be 20F pretty much for 24 hours. If Nugget gets past that, I think for sure she'll be fine, but I'm crossing my fingers.

They need to stop this Winter molting! I had two others do it, but they started in early December (I guess technically, that's late Fall). New rule: all molting must be finished by Dec. 1!

They need to stop this Winter molting! I had two others do it, but they started in early December (I guess technically, that's late Fall). New rule: all molting must be finished by Dec. 1!

The first few cold nights (in relative terms), I picked my near-naked Chipotle, who also did a December molt, out of the nestbox and tucked her in between two of her fluffiest sisters for good snuggling. The third night I was going to do it again and found her already there.

I am over in Evansville, so very similar weather to yours. I am super worried about one of my barred rocks, Nugget. She had the good sense to start her molt the last week of December. Right? She looks pitiful. I have a dog crate set up inside the house, if I could only catch her. I figure if she can outrun me, she's doing okay.

When I went out this morning, they were all standing around in the enclosed portion of their run, not seemingly too bothered (even my molting Nugget). They had no desire to play in the snow. I gave them tons of nice warm veggie mash, and a big bucket of cracked corn to supplement their regular food. Their water bucket is heated, so that won't be a problem. I even put a big tarp over their alread-insulated coop to cut down any drafts.

I just hope ten hot chicken bodies piled up inside their coop will keep it warm enough for Nugget to get past tonight (supposed to get down to 6F, but only during the hours they will be sleeping). Friday is supposed to be 20F pretty much for 24 hours. If Nugget gets past that, I think for sure she'll be fine, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Oh no, poor Nugget! I’m just across the river in Carmi, so it’s safe to say we have the exact same weather. I’m getting ready to go check on the flock now.. I love the idea of warm veggies. I hadn’t thought of that before!

Well, I got home from work today, and Nugget was still at her design temperature. I am continually in awe of these birds. They are freakishly tough if you give them proper care. Tomorrow will reach 40 degrees, so the danger is past. Let us hope this is the coldest it will get this Winter.

Years ago I decided to believe what the experienced people on these forums were telling me about chickens and winter. The coop is well ventilated with no drafts. The run has a roof and 3 sides are covered with clear vinyl. At -26 degrees F the chickens are out in their run pecking and drinking and eating like chickens normally do. Not one looks miserable. But then, the sparrows are flitting around and look perfectly fine too.

Years ago I decided to believe what the experienced people on these forums were telling me about chickens and winter. The coop is well ventilated with no drafts. The run has a roof and 3 sides are covered with clear vinyl. At -26 degrees F the chickens are out in their run pecking and drinking and eating like chickens normally do. Not one looks miserable. But then, the sparrows are flitting around and look perfectly fine too.
Yeah, I put up a bit of a fight against what they were telling me, but it turns out they were pretty much spot on. For a beginner, it's just so hard to imagine that a 4 pound bird can shrug off Winter temps, much less run around having fun in it. I guess it makes it even worse when you fall in love with the little featherheads and one's protective instincts kick in.

Back
Top Bottom