Coop break in, missing bird, torn wing

Birch66724

Chirping
Jun 21, 2018
Eastern Minnesota
I moved my 7-8 week old pullets outside about a week ago, and woke up this morning to a sad scene.
The wire (1” x 2”) in one corner was pulled free of the staples and looked as if it had been pushed back from the inside. There was a gap roughly big enough for a basketball to be pushed through.
I did a quick head count, and I’m missing one bird. :( nothing left but a few feathers scattered around outside the coop. I have a second bird who is missing a decent portion of her wing, and I found the ripped off wing nearby, (outside the coop while she was still inside). She seems okay for now, there wasn’t much blood, so I’m leaving her outside for now.
My question is, what could have done this? I thought fox but I doubt a fox would be satisfied with one small bird and leave most of the rest of them untouched. I’m located in south east Minnesota.
my dad restapled the wire, but I’m scared this is going to happen again, especially since I don’t know what caused it. I’ve had chickens in that coop for more than two years and never once had a predator problem.
Any advice appreciated!

I'm so sorry!
It could be a canine, and is most likely a raccoon, who will return until all your birds are gone.
You need hardware cloth over this wire, staples and then topped with 1" x 4" boards screwed into the framing. Electric fencing is great, and can be set up pretty fast.
This critter will return TONIGHT, probably with friends, so get your survivors inside, or much better protected today!
Mary

my dad restapled the wire, but I’m scared this is going to happen again,
Stapling isn't sufficient in most cases... the raccoon will rip them out again.

The size wire you are using allows them to reach in and even pull birds heads off. Most of use half inch hardware cloth.. screwed in if possible.

Sorry for your loss and injury. :hugs

Even using a coop with hardwire cloth, you need to lock them inside something at night. It will always be the safest choice. I have since switched to hardwire cloth to be safe, but this is my pullet pen. They go into the enclosed coop at night and a door (not pictured) is closed. I'm sorry for your baby, but as other uses suggested, fix the issue before tonight or you will soon have no birds remaining.

Attachments

• 1588269322052.png
    1588269322052.png
    771.1 KB · Views: 8
I use furring strips 1x2 inches screwed in, to sandwich the hardware cloth against the boards because the raccoon can pull it up otherwise. I had a raccoon lift open my heavy roll-up garage door and it peeled off the outer metal layer of my walk door just to get to the chicken food.

I would assume the bird with the ripped off wing is in shock also and needs to be kept warm and inside somewhere with electrolytes.

Thanks for the advice! I’m going to add hardware cloth around the base, and I put a door on the coop and locked everyone up last night. So far so good. A neighbor informed they saw a fox on their property, so either he was the culprit, or I have two problems...
9657419C-80BF-498F-8FBC-33F00275DDC3.jpeg
this is the corner that got busted and restapled. I don’t have enough hardware cloth to put it along the entire run right now, but I will get some this weekend. My injured bird is looking fine, too. I disinfected her wound, which seems pretty superficial to me, but I’m no vet, and I’ve seen her eating and drinking. Praying she makes a full recovery.
I will lock them up until my brother traps the fox, and I get the hardware cloth for raccoons.

Last edited:
Since you had a missing bird, I was going to say fox but normally a fox finds a hole or climbs over, but pulled staples is "normally" a raccoon.
Glad the injured bird is doing okay.

Back
Top Bottom