Coop build finished!

Lokismuse

Hatching
May 3, 2017
Ohio
IMG_2001.JPG IMG_2005.JPG We're so excited for the girls to move into their new coop! So far they seem to love it! They have so much space and it allows us to grow our flock in the future if we'd like to!

Attachments

• IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    661.6 KB · Views: 15
Very nice, I love your coop.

My only criticism would be - unless you plan to lock them inside the house at night- or when you are not home - would be to add hardware cloth and a protective cover on the run. Chicken wire does not protect them.

Oh I never realized that. What doesn't chicken wire protect them from? We knew to bury the wire to prevent tunneling, but the only things I thought we had to worry about in our area was fox, raccoon, and hawks.

So just read up a little more and I think I see what you mean. Chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep a determined predator out, even if it's completely enclosed. Thank you for giving that heads up! I appreciate it. You can tell it's our first coop lol

Oh I never realized that. What doesn't chicken wire protect them from? We knew to bury the wire to prevent tunneling, but the only things I thought we had to worry about in our area was fox, raccoon, and hawks.
Everything. I've seen chickens take apart chicken wire. If they can get trough it, you can be sure just about any other threat can. Get yourself something heavier duty, like hardware cloth or chainlink.

If you go with 1/2 x 1/2 19 gauge hardware cloth, check the prices on Amazon and Walmart.com. They tend to be the cheapest place to buy it. Great job on the coop also!!

So just read up a little more and I think I see what you mean. Chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep a determined predator out, even if it's completely enclosed. Thank you for giving that heads up! I appreciate it. You can tell it's our first coop lol

Glad you know and and can improve their security. It is so sad to see folks lose theirs trusting the chicken wire - happened to a friend of mine years ago and he was devastated by the event.

Back
Top Bottom