coop build questions

that's OK, no bother, had snow n sleet yesterday while girls locked in cabin, they getting use to it finally hope to let them out soon

aart,thought the round roost I mentioned would imitate a tree outside,had a few in one n played heck getting them out

You could use round tree branches, but much bigger around than those dowels...like 3 to 5 or 6" diameter.
I've just read that the wide side of a 2 x 4 is most often used as they are easy to come by and easy to scrape clean so that's what I recommend and use myself.

k n thanks aart! the limb idea is great,have wooded lot!! tree limb finding no problem. hubby thinks to find dead elm from woods n put limbs into it in spiral pattern so hopping won't b issue

You coop looks great. If you put a couple of windows in it will cut down on your electrical use. Like the others have said, the roosts for cold weather need to be large enough so that they can sit on their feet and cover them with their feathers so they don't get frostbite toes. If you have roosts at different heights they will fight over the tallest ones and also won't be able to all huddle together for warmth in the cold weather. The ladder type works well as long as its big enough so they all can fit on the top rung, they can use the lower rungs as steps and for youngsters. If you are lucky enough to have trees around, the limbs work great for roosts as long as they are big enough around. One of the problems with the spiral would be them getting hung up on the way to and from, and they will fight over who gets which. If you hang their feeder in their coop, be careful to put it away from roost access. If a chicken can hurt itself,it will and people have lost chickens from hitting the feeder chain (rope?) on the way down from the roost..

thank you for the info trefoil. have 3 windows in it now, no electricity ran yet. probably b just a cord when we need it.

stainless slider coop door, Hubby welds for living n had this all as scrap

Back
Top Bottom