Coop building update!

Thank you so much for all the help! To be honest, these chicks were a gift for my mother who's been wanting chickens for a long time. Unfortunately I've been the one to do most of the research. I'm also pretty young and not able to build the coop or buy materials myself so trying to explain things to my family about what needs to be done has been difficult. They insist there's going to be enough coop size and ventilation so trying to explain something that I'm still trying understand hasn't been easy. You and the rest of the BYC community have been making it a little simpler.

You're welcome.

We want to help set you up for success. :)

Thank you for asking questions, and listening to the answers!

Really, the knowledge pool here on BYC is wide and deep. If you have any questions, just ask.
Of course! I quickly learned there's a lot of false info online about taking care of chickens but I wanted to make sure they have the best life possible so asking questions and learning from experienced owners on here has been incredibly helpful!

I had 4 chickens in a 15 sqft coop. It wasn't big enough. It was a lot of work to maintain. It didn't give me any wiggle room. They HAD to get to the run every day which meant opening the door every day at dawn. They had to be secure at night which meant closing the door (even when it's 20 degrees). Bigger is better. 4sqft per bird isn't hard and fast, but I think it's a really GOOD guideline because I've broken it and it doesn't work long term.

My next coop will be built closer along those recommended guidelines. (Maybe bigger!)

I had 4 chickens in a 15 sqft coop. It wasn't big enough. It was a lot of work to maintain. It didn't give me any wiggle room. They HAD to get to the run every day which meant opening the door every day at dawn. They had to be secure at night which meant closing the door (even when it's 20 degrees). Bigger is better. 4sqft per bird isn't hard and fast, but I think it's a really GOOD guideline because I've broken it and it doesn't work long term.

My next coop will be built closer along those recommended guidelines. (Maybe bigger!)
Thank you! That's really helpful to know. Right now we're planning a way to make it bigger and maximize the space! Definitely want it big enough to maintain well and keep the chickens from feeling cramped.

Back
Top Bottom