coop caught on fire- emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kschicks, Dec 24, 2012.

1. kschicks

kschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    Land of Oz
    I had one chicken survive. She is sneezing and sounds raspy. Its bitterly cold here in KS so I have her inside. I'm very concerned because she isn't walking! Ive only been raising chickens for 6 Mos. Is there anything I can do for her or any steps I need to take or signs to watch for? She's my baby girl, can anyone help?!?! Thank you!!!!

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    so sorry to hear about your coop. [​IMG] if shes sneezing, then she probably breathed in a lot of smoke. Shes also pretty scared and freaked out, so she wouldn't want to go wandering around your house. You could try to feed her some nice treats, like yogurt, it would probably make her feel a lot better. For my girls, as a treat, sometimes I buy parakeet food, just a small bag, and give to them, but not that often, they love it! Just make sure shes warm, happy, and not too scared. Good luck! Hope I helped! [​IMG]

3. BMaverick

BMaverick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Cross Plains, TN
    To boost the bird's strength and electrolites, local honey feed by an eye dropper works. Only give a two or three drops in any given 15 to 30 minute time frame so the beak will not stick closed or, water the honey down in a warm bowl of water stirred really well. Sugar will not do the job. This advise was given by a person who has raised birds for 20+ years.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    If she is burned poor lavender over the burning. This immediately stops the skin from burning and eases pain

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by