Coop clean out

That is awesome! My anxiety is going down now.
In her book( Fresh Egg Daily- and website) Lisa Steele has some good herbal mixes that you can mix in with the poopy shavings etc. I used to clean out weekly but since reading her comments on deep litter I now do it twice a year. But every week I add a mix of dried mint, lemongrass, rosemary , lavender etc etc many of which are anti bacterial . I sprinkle it over the bedding, and in the laying baskets, and it smells really good. And the hens seem to like it. You could use fresh herbs too, but they might try eating them and if they’ve got turds on them.... not a good idea. She has mixes for layers, the coop floor, the bath area, winter time etc. It does remove he slightly ammonia smell if the girls have stayed inside all day as it’s pouring with rain( happens often here in N Wales). And you have nice herby compost to put on your veg beds etc In springtime.

I am like you - I go out and scoop it every morning (both the run and coop - tho I hear most people like the deep litter method I prefer to pick it out) and I do a quick once-over before sun sets. BUT....I have heard of people putting a board under the roost- I forget what it is called but it is essentially a board covered with contact paper that rests on a little ledge on either side so you can take it out. people take them out, scrape'em down and that's that! I have been too lazy to try and I creepily enjoy scooping poop in the coop because they think I am the poop fairy and the come sit on the roosts and talk to me while I do it LOL
Lol. I just saw this!! POOP FAIRY! I love that. I need a shirt with a chicken, a pooper scooper and a fairy.

I use industrial hemp from Carolina Coops and put first load in back in May. A couple days ago I pitch forked some out (I had about 6 inches) and added a little new. There was about a full wheelbarrow load that I tossed. I have 18 chickens in that coop and have had zero smell or excessive moisture. The chickens stir it up somewhat, but I noticed the bottom layer was untouched and looked brand new. I will begin to help turning it over monthly to test results.

Yes!!! I love hemp. I recently found a lately that gets it “fresher” than the packaged kind. It smells sooo good. She sells it by the pound and my chickens love it but I think I love it more. Lol.

As long as it doesnt smell or get wet, its fine. I use pine shavings in my coop and only clean it out twice a year. I put more bedding down as needed and the chickens turn it for me. Its called the deep bedding method
New to this group (and to chickens!) and trying to learn more about using diamatacious earth in the coop. The coop does not smell. I use white pine shavings. Every few days I turn the shavings and throw down a new layer. I was also sprinkling in some of this DE under the new layer of shavings to avoid smell and mites. I am concerned that the DE may be harmful to the chicks and I may not even need it. Is that correct? Just turn the shavings every few days, add a fresh layer, and completing clean it out when needed and not use the DE? Thanks!

New to this group (and to chickens!) and trying to learn more about using diamatacious earth in the coop. The coop does not smell. I use white pine shavings. Every few days I turn the shavings and throw down a new layer. I was also sprinkling in some of this DE under the new layer of shavings to avoid smell and mites. I am concerned that the DE may be harmful to the chicks and I may not even need it. Is that correct? Just turn the shavings every few days, add a fresh layer, and completing clean it out when needed and not use the DE? Thanks!

DE is a respiratory irritant.

This is my article on Deep Bedding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

I cleaned my coop out once, about 2.5 years in. I plan on cleaning it out again this fall. Deep litter method on dirt floor.
Yes, that. :goodpost:
I haven’t cleaned mine in a couple of years. I add leaves and pine shavings and shredded paper on top and the chickens turn it over.
I am going to do a big dig out soon but that is motivated by wanting nutrient rich dirt for a new flower bed and digging it out of the chicken coop is for free!

Back
Top Bottom