1. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    sinse i'm finally getting a new set in coop and yard instead of free ranging i want to know what to do to keep it clean. i want to get a nonmovable coop and a nice big running yard for my birds but i was reading in story's guide and realized, HOW DO I KEEP THE YARD CLEAN [​IMG] !!!!! i'm sure it will get disgusting evntually if i don't clean it, especiallly with the ducks. i don't want sand or gravle because i can't afford it and its uncomfortable for the birds. pluss the sand will only make it dirtier when it rains. does anyone have any suggestions or tips?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    someone please reply! [​IMG]

3. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Pardon if I am just ignorant, but have you thought of yard clippings or leaves? I love our coop, and I know that leaves and such are very entertaining for a young group...

4. Flock Runner

Nov 27, 2011
    what exacty are yard clippings? and wouldn't the leaves rot?

5. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    I dumped a ton of leaves and grass clippings in their chicken run. They love to play around in the leaves, and find hidden treasures. The leaves will probably rot if left long enough. Our run is large enough that I don't have to worry about that just yet.

Our chickens have a 200 sq ft run, and a 32 sq ft coop. We have 4 hens.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep lots of leaves or straw when the straw gets dirty add more straw then once or twice a year clean it out and add it to the garden works great

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm just running into this problem, the run is nothing but mud. So I'm going to be mixing some sand into it and in the spring the grass clippings will be added.

8. platedheart

platedheart Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    brevard fl
    my chickens loved grass clippings but i lived in washington state so everything was wet and rotty [​IMG] but i found that if i put a lil fence board sideways across the edge of the run and put sand in there (course) that it would drain when i rained for seven months and the poop wouldnt stink also chickens would not be chilling in straight mud for half a year ...no chicken swamp foot yeah![​IMG]

9. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My run is about 24' x 24' with 12" deep of sand. I rake with a leaf rake occassionally to clean it up. My birds free range so the mess is minimal. When we are busy and they have to stay in the run then more raking is required.

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    "Cleaning" the run is almost impossible. You have chickens pooping on dirt, it rains, it snows, it sleets. Poop disolves into dirt. So unless you run around constantly with a little dust pan and brush and pick up all the little piles BEFORE they step it in your fighting the losing of all losing battles.
    Now if your asking how do I handle the mud in the winter. I just keep a bale of straw by the gate and spread it as needed. I only spread it around from the gatge to the human door in the run and that's for me more so than the chickens.
    My suggestion to all who are considering a new coop and run is to try to do so that the sun hits all parts of the run for at least three or four hours of the day. UV light is a great sterilizer. I accomplished this by buiding my run around three sides of the house. That way in the hot months the chickens simply move from one side of the house to the other for shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by