coop cleaning time--YUCK

I clean everyday. its a routine. and i have never had to do major big clean ups. i only to big cleanups. (the deep method) in the snowy winter months, as its much easier that way.

Now its done (winter that is) I only sprinkle a little shavings on the coops floor, I can get to the big droppings much easier with my scooper.
smile.png

We do the quick clean up daily (or erm most days) and then the full coop clean up as needed. Winter, they are inside and the chooks who like to go out in the snow some bring wet inside, so weekly. Summer, it's too hot, so they are inside (who give filthy looks at the idea of being out in that nasty 90+ degree weather with 98% humidity), so it's a mess, so every 3-4 days or it gets the smells going. Spring/fall when it's decent, they prefer to run around outside, so their coop stays pretty decent.

Today, it's 55* and they are outside living it up.

Quote:
Every day? WOW !!!!

th.gif

We have indoors birds that we clean up after every day too, so daily chicken chores just seemed natural to us.

With almost 200 animals, there is no way possible that I could clean up after my birds every day. I have bedding down in my open air coops, so I replace the bedding (hay) every week. There is minimal poop on the roosts because everything falls down on the hay. All I have to do is pick up the hay and put more down. Now with broody season here, sometimes, I have up to 15 hens setting at one time, and I definitely have to keep their brooders clean daily.

I applaud you all for daily clean up.
thumbsup.gif

I just installed my poop board under the roost - but I made it cupped in the middle, and slanted down - it hoses off in 10 seconds into a 5 gallon bucket! I am a genius!
lol.png
No more poop shoveling for me! And my compost bin is right next to the coop - but sometimes I treat my mulberry tree to poop water. I'm hoping to get some tasty berries:p

Quote:
Oh man I hear ya!...I live in Ashtabula county in Ohio...not too far from you and this rain has been nasty...I really need to clean up my coops but when I go out I sink in all this wet mud...Wish it would just freeze for a day without snow so I can push the muck bucket cart and get the coops cleaned...Of course it is raining AGAIN and snow expected tonight!...GEESH!

I clean my coop every month or sow. I don't like it when it gets really cold and I have to clean the coop out and all the hay is frozen it takes a while to get it all out of the coop. But it looks nice when I am done
idunno.gif

Chickenboy and I were out cleaning coops & barns this evening. The snow had melted enough to get from the barn to the compost dump hill. The small coop I clean every other day. This is a raised coop - so when the snow is deep - I dump the muck under the coop until the weekend and haul at one time.( wait for weekend daylight - I work during the week.)

Back
Top Bottom