Coop cleaning tips?

Crazyabouthens

Songster
Jun 9, 2021
United Kingdom
I clean my hen coop around once or twice a week but it still gets a bit dirty and smelly and I’m not sure if I’m using the the right disinfect spray?? I also heard you can put some types of plants in the chicken coop to keep it smelling good. Can someone please recommend a disinfectant spray and plants too ? Thanks

I don't use any sprays in my coop except pernethrin for mites and ONLY when there is an actual infestation. My coops smell like fresh pine shavings 99% of the time.

Can you post pics of your coop?
How many birds in the coop?
Size of the coop in feet by feet please.
What bedding do you use?
Ok thanks. I will try take some pictures of my coop. It’s basically three coops joined up together and I’m pretty sure they’re all 6x6. I currently have 14 hens in the coop but we have had up to 20 before which is fine in the UK. I use straw with a bit of shavings mixed in for their bedding as bedding is really expensive in the UK

Can you take a few pictures of your coop?

Is it staying dry?
I will try take some pictures. At the moment, yes it is dry. I have just installed some guttering on the outside as the rain was getting in. Sometimes we have problems in the winter with the amount of rain and it seeps through the roof matting and leaks into the coops

I will try take some pictures. At the moment, yes it is dry. I have just installed some guttering on the outside as the rain was getting in. Sometimes we have problems in the winter with the amount of rain and it seeps through the roof matting and leaks into the coops
If you can figure out a way to keep it dry I guarantee you the smell will not be as bad.

Ok thanks. I will try take some pictures of my coop. It’s basically three coops joined up together and I’m pretty sure they’re all 6x6. I currently have 14 hens in the coop but we have had up to 20 before which is fine in the UK. I use straw with a bit of shavings mixed in for their bedding as bedding is really expensive in the UK
I use good old dirt in my coop and there's zero smell but it does not get wet either.

Each coop is 6x6 or all 3 together are 6x6?

Back
Top Bottom