1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop cleanliness,temp and boxes and floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Drew Allen, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Drew Allen

Drew Allen New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi we have some layers and I want to know how often do people clean there coops. Also what is a good tempature to ensure good laying production? And what do most people use to cushion the boxes? What kind of ground cover do you use or recommend I have some pine straw but it does not work very well. We also have a dirt floor and it seems to get rock hard from the chicken manure mixing with it.

2. JInSouthMS

JInSouthMS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Sumrall, MS
    i put hay in my nest boxes and the hens just take it out. do the boxes need a cusion?

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've put together some thoughts on coop hygiene here, Drew:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-Coop_Hygiene

Generally, birds react to light for egg production rather than heat- 14 hours a day is a good target.

I like shavings as bedding and in nest boxes, I agree with you about clumping and you want manure removal to be easy, and the bedding to be treatable with a good stall product. Your birds will scratch and aerate the bedding better, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by