Coop colors inside and out

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by missychicky, Jun 10, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I am designing my own coop and have heard alot of things about what color it should be. There are many confusing and often contradicting "facts" about what to do, I don't know where to turn. Could I get some advice about what colors are good and bad for inside and outside the coop? Should I just not paint it at all? Thanks much.

2. ondreeuh

ondreeuh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I'm painting the inside of my coop light blue, because that's the color I have [​IMG]. I'm using dark gray paint for the inside of the egg boxes to make it seem darker in there.

I'm not sure the color matters much. Most hens just go in to sleep, so I doubt they care too much. If you don't paint at all, though, the poop is going to stick to the wood and be pretty gross. I'm using semi-gloss paint so it is scrubbable.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I painted mine with barn paint--the classic red barn color. It looks marvelous, if I do say so myself. [​IMG] And the inside is not painted.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Paint the outside as you like. I painted my inside white to see better, but left the roost poles and nestboxes unpainted of course.

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I painted mine light sage green, same as the outside in semi gloss so that it would be easier to clean and the wood will have a longer life! I have not heard anything about using specific colors.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What ever color Home Depot or Lowe's has in there mis-tint section! You can get some really good paint that somebody screwed up the color of for cheap. I've painted coops, fences and everything else that needed painting with these paints. Everything from a nice sandy brown to fushia! White is boring!!

7. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore nearby...that is another good place to find cheap paint if you don't care what color it is.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I painted the exterior to match our house. Satin Finish and Semi-Gloss Trim.
    Even took a piece of siding in to have color matched.
    Painted the inside all white exterior semi-gloss

[​IMG]

9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    mine has shingles and it looks great [​IMG]
    ive read to paint it a light color to reflect heat but i think its more important to just paint it what ever color you like
    its also good to paint the roost although i forget why [​IMG] i think to prevent rot or bugs

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by