Coop colors inside and out

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I am designing my own coop and have heard alot of things about what color it should be. There are many confusing and often contradicting "facts" about what to do, I don't know where to turn. Could I get some advice about what colors are good and bad for inside and outside the coop? Should I just not paint it at all? Thanks much.

I'm painting the inside of my coop light blue, because that's the color I have
wink.png
. I'm using dark gray paint for the inside of the egg boxes to make it seem darker in there.

I'm not sure the color matters much. Most hens just go in to sleep, so I doubt they care too much. If you don't paint at all, though, the poop is going to stick to the wood and be pretty gross. I'm using semi-gloss paint so it is scrubbable.

I painted mine with barn paint--the classic red barn color. It looks marvelous, if I do say so myself.
smile.png
And the inside is not painted.

Paint the outside as you like. I painted my inside white to see better, but left the roost poles and nestboxes unpainted of course.

I painted mine light sage green, same as the outside in semi gloss so that it would be easier to clean and the wood will have a longer life! I have not heard anything about using specific colors.

What ever color Home Depot or Lowe's has in there mis-tint section! You can get some really good paint that somebody screwed up the color of for cheap. I've painted coops, fences and everything else that needed painting with these paints. Everything from a nice sandy brown to fushia! White is boring!!

I painted the exterior to match our house. Satin Finish and Semi-Gloss Trim.
Even took a piece of siding in to have color matched.
Painted the inside all white exterior semi-gloss

50610_img_3531.jpg

mine has shingles and it looks great
wee.gif

ive read to paint it a light color to reflect heat but i think its more important to just paint it what ever color you like
its also good to paint the roost although i forget why
big_smile.png
i think to prevent rot or bugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom