Coop condensation issues

Moonspeckle

Chirping
Jul 7, 2010
Harts, West Virginia
I am currently using a vinyl 7x7 shed as a coop. I notice that there is a lot of condensation in the ceiling of the coop, and the bedding I put inside is getting soiled really quickly. (Don’t mind the photos, I’m currently cleaning out the old bedding) Do you guys have any recommendations on how to fix this issue?
0F3D27C2-FCC4-43BE-B4F3-3AE70518AFD6.jpeg
6235E62B-50BC-4850-866E-ACA87A91640C.jpeg
188B06A3-2D41-454F-A8DE-3395290CB25F.jpeg

Flock size???

and your ventilation is inadequate. Problem with pre-built sheds, they are intended to keep the outside out, and have almost no consideration for venting interior moisture sources - like the breath and droppings of your little dinosaurs. Temperature gradients just aggravate that. In a wooden shed, the first answer is to cut larger openings...

Assuming you don't want to do that in your plastic shed, can you remove the sky lights, reattach them on the top of the roof, but gapped/spaced to allow additional airflow without making that a source for rainwater entry?

You may need to construct crickets, as you would on the high side of a chimney, to divert water.

Alternatively, you could consider placing roof vents (turbine) in two of those skylights, or other designs whether solar powered or otherwise (solar of course won't work overnight, when covered by snow, etc - good for forcing air during hot days, not so great otherwise. If you have power in the shed, then of course you have lots of options.

My flock is currently 4 chickens and 5 ducks. Thank you for your reply, I never considered with all the ventilation it had that it would need more (there’s slits on the front and back walls and 2 skylight vents)
I will look into getting some powered ventilation

My flock is currently 4 chickens and 5 ducks. Thank you for your reply, I never considered with all the ventilation it had that it would need more (there’s slits on the front and back walls and 2 skylight vents)
I will look into getting some powered ventilation

The basic rule of thumb is 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird. The slits are half louver, and likely don't add up to a sq ft between them, while removing all four skylights, leaving just holes would add 4 sq ft more, or half what you actually need, assuming I've correctly guessed at the dimensions of the building. Back (gabled) wall is 8' across, roughly, right?

/edit just re-read, I see that its 7' - close enough for purpose of my estimates)

and yes, it is an absolutely insane amount of ventilation when compared to almost any other use of the space, only a kitchen or bathroom has similar needs.

Back
Top Bottom