Coop Confusion From a NOOB!

I have this chicken hutch....or coop...or whatever it may be. It is in my yard, sitting on grass. I have three chickens (who I got today) and they have eaten a lot (almost all) of the grass in the underside in less than 12 hours! I figured, I would let them finish eating it until it is all dirt underneath....but then what? Do I leave it as dirt underneath or do I add shavings or??? I am totally confused as to exactly what the underneath is supposed to be like. It's weird, I thought I knew what I was getting into and now the simplest things are stumping me! Please forgive my ignorance! Here is a pic of my little chicken "house." Any suggestions?
I like the design of your coop. I have been looking for ideas and yours is definitely one I could adapt mine to. How wide is yours. How many will it handle. I probably will limit mine to 6 or 8.

I like the design of your coop. I have been looking for ideas and yours is definitely one I could adapt mine to.
How wide is yours. How many will it handle. I probably will limit mine to 6 or 8.

Designed for 4-5 chickens, and the Dimensions - 46” x 80” x 31” but that's the dimensions from on the box, and is with only one "house" attached. As you can see, I have two houses attached, because I bought two of these hutches and my husband rigged together a sort of "twin houses" type thing. Not sure the dimensions of it with both houses but I have to say this about the product....it sucks. Don't buy it! It's cute looking but it isn't at all practical!

I switched to sand in the coop and it is so much easier to clean. Also added a poop board.not sure why I waited so long to do so but worth it

I have sand under mine nd use a kitty litter scoop to clean out the poo every day. Not one of my favorite things to do. Lol

I have sand under mine nd use a kitty litter scoop to clean out the poo every day. Not one of my favorite things to do. Lol

I have read so much about sand vs. shavings/straw and I am sooooo confused! A lot of people swear by sand and others hate it. Seems split down the middle, 50/50. I am considering it because I already hate the shavings situation. I can't use the deep litter method, coop is too small for that. What kind of sand do you use?

I live in a sandy area so I just got some from my yard. If it gets too dusty while cleaning I use a spray bottle to wet it down a bit. Plus the sand driesout the poo seems to help keep the smell down to:)

Designed for 4-5 chickens, and the Dimensions - 46” x 80” x 31” but that's the dimensions from on the box, and is with only one "house" attached. As you can see, I have two houses attached, because I bought two of these hutches and my husband rigged together a sort of "twin houses" type thing. Not sure the dimensions of it with both houses but I have to say this about the product....it sucks. Don't buy it! It's cute looking but it isn't at all practical!
I might try a version of yours. Looks like you could maybe attach a run to the lower section. But I'm still in the planning stages here. Thanks for the info.

Quote: I too was thinking of this problem. I am new to chickens and all I have left is a bare muddy area. Plus they have managed to dig up half of my small Acer tree. I was wondering if I sprinkle some more grass seed down, would it grow or would they just eat the grass seed?

Back
Top Bottom