Coop Construction HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moodlymoo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    We are about to begin construction and I need as much advise as possible. I want to build a coop that will sit in a corner so like a triangle design. I have 10 gals HELP please

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    You need 40 square feet of room for your coop(8x5, 6x7, or 10x4 area). You will need more space if your planning on increasing your flock in the future. Look at the different coop plans on this site and pick what you like. My dh built a 12x4x8 rectangular room in our garage for our 8 chicks. Good luck.

3. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    are you looking for construction advice???? a triangle room will be a tough first build due to the angles you will encounter......a squared of building is much easier to start with

4. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    If you need a triangle coop and need 40 square feet of space, you will need to make one side of the coop 8ft and the other 10ft. The long side that will face out should then be about 12.8 ft. (If my math is correct)! That will give you 40 sq. ft.

Best wishes! Post pics please! [​IMG]

5. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Drew this up really quickly... hope it helps. Someone correct me if my math is wrong! [​IMG] It can be done, but might take awhile and some advanced carpenter's help. Interesting idea. I might like to copy it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    The amount of space you need also depends on the breed. Jersey Giants need more room than Ameraucana which need more room than bantams. It also depends on whether they are in the coop all the time or simply to lay and sleep. A calc. that is often used for "large fowl" is 3 s.f. per layer indoors and 10 s.f. of outdoor run space. If you have roosters you'll need more.

BYC has a page with a LOT of different coops pictured, take a look there and you'll get ideas for your own.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. some good advice. A triangle will be no problem as long as they have the space they need. [​IMG]

8. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:I think the math is wrong it base x height/2 so the 12.73 x whatever it is from point to base divided by 2

so if 12 is your base(long wall) from there to the point would like 6.66666 maybe that makes the sides 9.....i dont know about that

9. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:the problem will be the building of it. a sloped triangle roof will require figuring compound miter cuts to hand the rafters etc

10. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Your math is correct. Seems that if you make a triangular coop and a 9x9 roof then you'll have a nice covered area for access if its raining and also a possible storage area for pine shavings, food... you could then just do a single sloped roof. You could then place the clean out doors at the front (12ft side) and then the nest boxes on one of the sides (9ft). At least those are my thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by