Coop Construction HELP!!!

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
We are about to begin construction and I need as much advise as possible. I want to build a coop that will sit in a corner so like a triangle design. I have 10 gals HELP please

You need 40 square feet of room for your coop(8x5, 6x7, or 10x4 area). You will need more space if your planning on increasing your flock in the future. Look at the different coop plans on this site and pick what you like. My dh built a 12x4x8 rectangular room in our garage for our 8 chicks. Good luck.

are you looking for construction advice???? a triangle room will be a tough first build due to the angles you will encounter......a squared of building is much easier to start with

If you need a triangle coop and need 40 square feet of space, you will need to make one side of the coop 8ft and the other 10ft. The long side that will face out should then be about 12.8 ft. (If my math is correct)! That will give you 40 sq. ft.

Best wishes! Post pics please!
big_smile.png

Drew this up really quickly... hope it helps. Someone correct me if my math is wrong!
hide.gif
It can be done, but might take awhile and some advanced carpenter's help. Interesting idea. I might like to copy it!
big_smile.png

102916_capture.png

The amount of space you need also depends on the breed. Jersey Giants need more room than Ameraucana which need more room than bantams. It also depends on whether they are in the coop all the time or simply to lay and sleep. A calc. that is often used for "large fowl" is 3 s.f. per layer indoors and 10 s.f. of outdoor run space. If you have roosters you'll need more.

BYC has a page with a LOT of different coops pictured, take a look there and you'll get ideas for your own.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/coopdesigns.html

Quote:
I think the math is wrong it base x height/2 so the 12.73 x whatever it is from point to base divided by 2

so if 12 is your base(long wall) from there to the point would like 6.66666 maybe that makes the sides 9.....i dont know about that

Quote:
the problem will be the building of it. a sloped triangle roof will require figuring compound miter cuts to hand the rafters etc

Your math is correct. Seems that if you make a triangular coop and a 9x9 roof then you'll have a nice covered area for access if its raining and also a possible storage area for pine shavings, food... you could then just do a single sloped roof. You could then place the clean out doors at the front (12ft side) and then the nest boxes on one of the sides (9ft). At least those are my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom