Coop construction questions

HennaRose

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Florida
I'm building a wood coop to the using mostly salvaged materials. I'm working from drawings and measurements. not actual plans with directions.This is also my first construction project ever. I have the frame up already. Do I need sheathing on the frame before I put up the siding, or can I put the siding directly on the frame?

what kind of siding are you going to use? I'm currently building a new coop myself, and planning to use T1-11 siding panels. Won't need sheathing up for that. But if you're using something that's not in sheets, yeah it would probably be a good idea

One thing i will advise you on is don't over think your first coop. I did but now my wife is having to keep me from rebuilding it every year. You will find that as you use it you will get more idea's keep track of them and then you can implement them on the next one. I have found that your coop will always revolve as you get more familiar with your needs.

Wood planks for siding. Wood posts for the frame. I have some plywood I could use for sheathing (not enough, but it's cheapish) if I need to. I was already planning on painting it with exterior house paint.

I'm finishing up my first coop now. I'm going to start a thread on it soon to get some ideas on improvements. I used old pallets. But I took the pallets apart first and used the crossboards as siding for the coop. There were obviously small gaps between the boards, so I used some old OSB plywood and screwed it in from the inside. This didn't mess up the look of the outside and since OSB isn't waterproof (therefore cheaper) it was fine putting it on the inside. Any other small gaps that weren't covered up I used exterior caulk to fill in. The exterior then got treated with Thompson's water sealer. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We didn't use sheathing. Our coop was constructed using battens on boards. If you click the "My Coop" to the left under my picture, there's a page with pics of our coop when under construction so you can see how it was done.

Back
Top Bottom