Coop conversion and Cleaning

Chickenguy9

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
Hey Everybody!

I have been looking at this forum a long time now without joining because I haven't been able to get chickens yet. I recently bought a House and the previous owner raised pigeons in an (what i believe to be enormous) pigeon coop. He passed away last year and I bought the place from his kids. Now to my problem the Coop has at least 1 year old pigeon poo in it! I dont know how to clean it and I was hoping some of you would have good ideas about it. I would also appreciate suggestions on how to convert it to be more acceptable to keeping chickens. I will post pictures if i can figure out how to get them from my phone :) I thank you in advance for any help you can give :) Oh and the coop is roughly 18x24 ft. with separate interior rooms if thats relevant.

Sorry for any spelling errors, as I am dyslexic.

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. My top tip for cleaning would be a good power washer I use one on my coops when I do big clean on them. The learning centre has great info on coop designs. Your new coop sounds great with plenty of room, perches,nest boxes and making it predator proof would be my first jobs on it. Would not worry about your spelling either it's great but I know how you feel as my son is dyslexic too. Wishing you the very best of luck with your future chickens :frow

Hey Thanks for the quick reply. Aswell as the suggestions. Im just not sure if i can pressure wash the floor as the coop is built up on stilts with uncovered 3/4 in. plywood floors. maybe I could rig up some sort of drain in the floor, if not how would you clean the water from the washer out? Thanks again!

Excess water I would sweep out the door with brush and generally with power wash you can like spray and walk and sort of push the water along with you. Sorry it's not a very good description I'm not sure how to put it really. Or as you say maybe some drain holes would work if you could maybe get most of the debris of the floor with shovel.

Figured out How to add pics I think... A picture of each room and small portion of hall. The poo on the floor s to the point of peeling off (Eww) Not sure what the green is, dont think its mold though. Its not really, spore, like. Thanks All!

Whatever you do to it, I would wear a respirator in there.....that has alot of potential! +1 on the power washing

Whatever you do to it, I would wear a respirator in there.....that has alot of potential! +1 on the power washing
Yeah. I wore a paper face mask and gloves just to take pics and test the power. Its pretty cool theres also a 10Lx24wx4hft. attic/ storage space. I have big plans for it, once its clean!!

Thanks for the feedback! Do you think a paper mask is enough or should i go full blown respirator?

I wouldn't add water. I'd think that would just make a rather disgusting mud. I'd scrape and shovel it out DRY and maybe use a shop vac for the corners and loose bits. Spray it down with a disinfectant if you want when it's clean... maybe paint. Looks like a nice space.

Yeah. I wore a paper face mask and gloves just to take pics and test the power. Its pretty cool theres also a 10Lx24wx4hft. attic/ storage space. I have big plans for it, once its clean!!

Thanks for the feedback! Do you think a paper mask is enough or should i go full blown respirator?

I would use as much protection as possible. You can DIY by buying a full raincoat, gloves that you can tape or use cording to cinch the sleeves at your wrist, and rubber boots that you can cinch the legs over the boots. Though fairly rare, people sweeping or cleaning their own garage or other buildings on their property have caught respiratory illness, which have left some some dead within a day and some have permanent lung damage. Not trying to scare you, but better safe than sorry, I say. Plus, you will need some of those things anyway (as long as they are disinfected properly.

Nice possibilities, though.
smile.png

Edit: Yes, I would go with a full respirator. I don't want to disagree with the OP, but I would go with a wet method. This would help keep the airborne particles down and as far away from your eyes, mouth and nose as possible. Be sure not to travel too far from your work area with your "suit" on. Then take a nice long shower afterward.

Last edited:
After doing a lile more research i have found that its a good idea to wet it with a spray bottle and then scoop/ sweep up the moistend feces. makes sense to me. I may look into power washing the cleaner 2 rooms where they don't have thick layers of dried feces. on the floor and only sort of crusty/ dirty thin layer. fortunately its the smaller 2 rooms that seem to be the worst part and I'll probably wet-scoop those areas and put the debris in trash bags. I like the rain suit idea, and will mos definitely be using a full respirator and safety goggles. rubber boots and gloves. I was awfully close to just attacking it with gloves a face mask and broom out of excitemnt to get started. Im glad i paused for some research before beginning. Thanks for the input! Any more advice or insight is appreciated. At least its well ventilated!

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom