Coop Design and Setup

Parker1316

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
Hello! So we've moved onto 5 acres and there is a shed that we are converting into our coop. We live in southeast Missouri where the summers are hot and humid and the winters are cold and rainy with occasional snow. The floor of the shed is wooden and is elevated so I'm wondering what we should do for the floor. I want to do the deep litter method, but husband doesn't seem too enthusiastic about it. He'd rather put plywood down and put straw or hay over top and call it done. What would you do since there's wooden planks for the floor of the coop?

I have a piece of vinyl flooring laid over my wooden floor. It's cut to fit but not glued or tacked down. I also do deep litter and the vinyl makes it much easier.

I would probably put the plywood down.
not particle board, plywood.
Or another layer of boards, laid crossways to the existing boards.

critters can chew a hole through wood if they have a mind to.

I have concrete floors in my two main coops. I have never had any critter gain access to either coop.

what do you describe deep litter as?
I have heard the term many times.
can't picture it in my mind.

each fall I add a good 6" to 8" of wood chips over the concrete floor. then a bale of straw over that. then I add straw whenever it gets too soiled.
I clean it all out in the late spring..
that is what I consider deep litter..
.......jiminwisc......

I have sturdy painted plywood.

Deep litter needs to be on the dirt. As in a dirt floor coop. Now for me that was a NO. I had that in the country and was not happy about snakes coming in.
The rattler was the final straw for me.

I would do plywood and double coat it with Black Jack Rubr-Coat#57. Then use pine shavings, that's what I did and it works great.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-4-75-Gallon-Fibered-Waterproofer-Roof-Sealant/3043257

20170416_130051.jpg
20170415_130426.jpg

20170423_115926.jpg

Other members have used it, that's how I heard about using it. It comes in gallon size cans as well. Turn the can upside down, the day before you apply it, it will help with mixing it.

Back
Top Bottom