Coop Design: Did I screw up bad?

I would enclose the top part over the nest boxes and put a roost in it. Add a ramp to the right side so they can access it. I don't think you have enough covered/enclosed space for them to sleep/roost when there is bad weather. I would say you can comfortably fit 4 hens, possibly another 2 if they can free range during the day.

Quote:
I think it looks fine ... a couple coats of dark wood stain and all that "old rough cut lumber" would blend together seamlessly. IMO, it's always the finishing touches that makes something stand out

You are one step ahead of so many, you did the coop 1st! Coops are always a work in progress. Lots of good hints here. I would not fool with a rooster, not necessary and will cause more distress than his is worth.

That's not big enough for 5 chickens, maybe 3 tops. They really need a bigger area to roost and a place safe from the elements.

The chicken wire will not be safe either. Dogs/raccoons can rip into it very easily! Welded wire or hardware cloth would work.

We built a room inside our garage 12x4x9 with a run 22x5x5 and I have a feather picking problem that I need to deal with ASAP.

Coop
600262c2-5db6-b600.jpg

Nest box inside coop
600262c2-5dd5-7f87.jpg

Run with welded wire and steel roof.
600262c2-5dff-cbe8.jpg

I still need to lock them up at night due to the weasels. I'm making changes, to make the run more predator proof and adding a fan for the hot summers.

We cover the run in the winter with plastic and installed a radiator heater to keep them warm. They had access to both.

I have 8 hens and had issues. I'm taking one out and adding 3 more with a total of 10 chickens. I will have to address the feather picking issues. My coop is equipped for 12 standards hens, but in all reality it's not working out. I need more space. I free range daily, but with the hawks, their free ranging is limited.

Last edited:
I love it and I think you did a wonderful job! Oklahoma has the the downside of very hot summers and winter cold that blasts directly from the arctic! Given that, I would get some sheet styrofoam or other insulating material for the inside under the tin roof. Lots of open area is good, and it is more like that is your run than your coop at present. Are you planning on more area for run? You can always wrap tarp on the sides for a winter windbreak, if you dont mind the extra work putting it up. I would add some on the upper half of the south, east and west facing sides for extra shade during the day... Especially if you arent home to see if they are doing okay in summer.

My girls like having an outside roost to hang out on, so I would keep that one outside, but move it to the center. A predator can get them through the chicken wire, so want some distance there.

I agree that I would enclose the area above the nest box for a nighttime roost, leaving lots of vent area, and I would add a hinged door and a sloped floor for easy clean out. i would put one roost in the center running the long way over the nest box.

Really, a very nice home!

Hi nicole01,

I read a study that said feather pecking is alleviated by increasing non soluable fiber in the diet: that can be provided by increasing raw plant material. When I cant take my girls out of the run I go out in the yard with scissors and cut up grass, hibiscus leaves, lettuce from my garden, and some weeds ( I researched to see which were safe for them, and watched which they liked most).

I tried kitchen scraps but these girls dont even want cucumber or watermelon! Be very careful with plants and weeds during a drought: it concentrates toxins in the leaves in some plants. For example, I thought I had clover but it is oxalis. (has a small yellow flower) The chickens like it, but a toxin in it binds calcium and can cause hypocalcemia: very dangerous. A small bit wont kill them when they eat lots of other stuff, but during drought I wouldnt them to eat it at all...

I've been thinking of some ways to modify the coop based on what I've read here. Here are my ideas:

(1) Make the door over the nest boxes smaller, so it doesn't make up so much of the coop roof.

(2) Raise the roof of the coop, except the nest box door part, about 1 to 2 feet higher.

(3) Raise the nest boxes about 4" off the bottom of the coop.

(4) Place a 2x4 board as a roost half way between the front of the nest boxes and front coop wall, as high as possible so the chickens can still have head room.

(5) Make the front of the box a door, so it can be opened for cleaning.

(6) Put some heavier wire over the chicken wire around the bottom, at least 1/2 way up the sides.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom