Coop design help

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Ive had this coop design in mind for years. 4 stalls, rooster cage to separate or cross breed, room for chicken gear, concrete floor set up to wash out, drain channel in rear of coops. Metal building, slab, a yard or run on the back side. Keep breeds separated instead of mixing. Put my best nest boxes on the wall in each stall to roll eggs out the front work area..

Attachments

• 20221225_111826.jpg
    20221225_111826.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I'd have the doors open out to avoid bedding blocking the door swing.

Agrees on the 4' width being rather narrow. My coop partition is 4x6' and it's tight in there.
But I do have a 1x6' roost/board.
The 2' door is kinda tight too.

Metal and concrete may not be ideal for heat dispersal and ventilation to remove moisture from cleaning.

How many birds do you plan n having?
Do you have a place for chicks after they outgrow the brooders?

I suggest you use graph paper for scale and mess around with layouts.

Ive had this coop design in mind for years. 4 stalls, rooster cage to separate or cross breed, room for chicken gear, concrete floor set up to wash out, drain channel in rear of coops. Metal building, slab, a yard or run on the back side. Keep breeds separated instead of mixing. Put my best nest boxes on the wall in each stall to roll eggs out the front work area..
If I were building from the ground up and involved in breeding projects, this would be my design as well with a few changes.
I'd start with the frame work of a 2 stall horse barn with an 8' breezeway. Stalls are 10x10 or 12x12 so the overall size is either 20x18 or 24x20. Breezeway would have roll up doors at both ends to maximize air flow and natural light. All interior walls would be wire again for air flow and light plus the cost savings. Back wall to the run would also be wire. You live in Texas. Even in Colorado, one outside wall would be wire. Nest boxes on the wall to the breezeway. With 30" doors that will leave 2 nest boxes for the 5' pens and 3 with 6'. How many hens will each pen hold? Maximize run size by building the middle 2 the full width of the barn and put the 2 outside ones off to the side.
On another note, if you do not already own a GQF battery brooder spend the money and go for it. Love it. I have a stack of 2 brooders and 2 grow out pens. Easy to do 2 batches of 50 chicks at the same time in 1/4 of the floor space of using old water troughs.

Back
Top Bottom