Coop design (input appreciated)

Ok. I'm going to do the apron that seems like win win. for the chicken and the wallet.
Poop trays I can make any depth I want since I'm building from scratch. Is it still not worth doing? I was going to route 2x material and insert the plywood in the channel. And build it like a basic drawer. If it's not worth the extra time I have no problem skipping out on that and using my resources elsewhere in the coop

Poop trays I can make any depth I want since I'm building from scratch.
The bigger they get, the heavier and harder to handle they are.
Have never seen a decent sliding poop tray drawer.

Here's some posts about my poop boards, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/...ch-x-9-inch-mesh-drawer-organizer-silver.html

I believe this is a much stronger interior layout for my coop. What do you guys think?

Also. For ventilation. I was thinking either gable vents or a soffit and ridge vent system. Does either one sound better than the other? I'm still thinking of the poop board under the roosts I just didnt draw it this time.

Attachments

• 20200403_183600.jpg
    20200403_183600.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 6
Soffit and ridge vents would work together. That's an upstream vent. The gables is a cross vent. For a standard house it would be one or the other for an unconditioned attic space. I guess for a coop anything is fair game?

I have no problem doing the combo for the coop. Tons of houses have both. mid century house were built with gable vents. when they get renovated the add vinyl vented soffits and ridge vents with new roofs... its a better flow pattern for roof sheathing. Not sure why they advise against it when building new to be completely honest.

What do you think of the second layout? I think my first interior layout didn't have a good area for the access door and I feel like I have more floor space keeping the roosts on one side the nests on the other and the center freed up.

Not sure why they advise against it when building new to be completely honest.
Me neither. Have read adamant debates on the subject.
Had just the soffits and gables when I bought the house. Half the soffits were stuffed full of batting, which I replaced with rafter vents then 6" more cellulose.
Ridge vent went in when I replaced shingles years later, it gets covered with snow.

AnnnnyyyWay
What do you think of the second layout?
Better.
Will it be a walk-in coop...or will there be an access door for cleaning poop boards??

Insulation is a beautiful thing, way to go with the rafter vents as well. Check out building science if you ever have time to kill. Dr. Joe is a genius with home building.

Glad you agree with the second layout I feel like my first design was too spread out and made things cramped. I was going to make it an access. I want to leave at least 3' underneath the coop as part of the run for maximum ground space for the run with minimal footprint in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom