coop design questions

Pics
back again with some more questions. Someone on another page I am on mentioned they used these panels https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...onate-Roofing-Panel-in-Clear-101699/100049922 for their run cover. I was going to use wood. But would these be better as they would let more light in and the person that posted them said they are cheaper than a wood and shingle roof. This would just be for the run not for the coop.

So they block 99% of UV rays, which means you'll lose the germ-killing benefits of sunlight. But sunlight is nice. I would make sure they have some outdoor shade though if you have hot summers. Maybe orient the coop and run so that the coop creates a shadow over a bit of the run during the afternoon? And I'm assuminf the run walls are open - no breeze and a clear roof would make for a greenhouse situation.

So they block 99% of UV rays, which means you'll lose the germ-killing benefits of sunlight. But sunlight is nice. I would make sure they have some outdoor shade though if you have hot summers. Maybe orient the coop and run so that the coop creates a shadow over a bit of the run during the afternoon? And I'm assuminf the run walls are open - no breeze and a clear roof would make for a greenhouse situation.
yes the run walls would be all hardware cloth so only thing covered would be the roof. I do have some trees in the area that it would be going so there is shade on part of it during the day. Should I maybe do part with a wood roof and another section with this so they can choose what they want? If I have the space I was thinking of adding a non covered part to my run as well but will depend on how long I can fit in the area I want it to go.

back again with some more questions. Someone on another page I am on mentioned they used these panels https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...onate-Roofing-Panel-in-Clear-101699/100049922 for their run cover. I was going to use wood. But would these be better as they would let more light in and the person that posted them said they are cheaper than a wood and shingle roof. This would just be for the run not for the coop.

The problem with clear roof panels is the greenhouse effect. Chickens tolerate cold much better than they tolerate heat and a clear roof creates an OVEN on even a cool sunny day.

I spent a decade in Massachusetts so I know that you *do* get some 85-90F days in the summer.

The problem with clear roof panels is the greenhouse effect. Chickens tolerate cold much better than they tolerate heat and a clear roof creates an OVEN on even a cool sunny day.

I spent a decade in Massachusetts so I know that you *do* get some 85-90F days in the summer.
ok. I know in a coop they would create a greenhouse effect as it is for the most part fully enclosed (even with ventilation and windows) I wasn't sure if it would do the same thing in a run that has 3 sides that are all hardware cloth and the 4th would be butted up to the coop. And yes we have days that get up to 95-100 but those are only a couple a year but most of the summer is 80-90 so I don't want to cook them. LOL

I've seen people mix the Suntuff panels with steel panel roofing having the same profile, to allow some passive solar lighting under an otherwise steel roof, since the framing below is identical, its easy to assemble the pieces with very limited concerns re: water leak/penetration. Sadly, passive heat gain is unavoidable, and usually offset by large amounts of ventilation (which mitigate need for passive solar lighting in the first place.

It really is a cold/very cool climate design more than a hot climate design, part of why I avoided it in my recent build.

That said, at current pricing on lumber, I don't see how anyone can build a shingle roof at cost below steel panel, and shingles are far more labor intensive. So unless you have a complex roof design with multiple gables, hips and valleys, etc - or a lot of shingles and felt laying about from past job overages, I'd recommend buying a good pair of cut resistant gloves and putting up a metal roof on purlins right now, for price and durability.

1614812648717.png

can't remember if I put this picture up or not. This is what I am thinking of for the run. Coop I think will be a bit different but will attach like this. Run will be 8x10 possibly longer if it will fit. I don't have to cover the whole thing in a roof but being in MA I wanted to have a decent covered area that I didn't have to worry about snow being in there and having to shovel it out in the winter so want a good portion of it covered. So just do the metal panels with nothing under it? We have a partially rotted out shed that we will be taking any non rotted pieces of wood from and using for the coop to cut the cost down. Hoping that roof is still in good shape to work for the coop so we don't have to worry about that. (oh and yes our coop will have a LOT more ventilation at the top than this picture since it will be lifted up with an overhang).

Back
Top Bottom