coop design questions

Pics
Ok another question. :)

We thought we had windows that would hopefully work for the coop but when we measured them we think they will be too big. We are thinking of just cutting out windows and using hardware cloth over them and leaving them open in the summer (need to make sure no blowing rain can get in them but they will be under the overhang). Then using plexiglass to cover them up for the winter but still let light in. Would this work??????

And for the human door going into the coop. should I put a screen window on the top part of that to have a bit more ventilation (can you have too much?). it will be under the roof covered run so no rain or snow or anything can get in there?

My wood comes today and then we will start building tomorrow. Was hoping for a great weekend to build but they are talking about rain on Sunday. :( Tomorrow will be great weather though!!

I think any ventilation you can open and close as needed is a great feature for sure. If you get hot summers, you'll probably wish you had an entire wall of hardware cloth. As far as permanent ventilation, I believe it should be at least a foot above the highest roost to avoid winter drafts blowing on chickens as they sleep.

I think any ventilation you can open and close as needed is a great feature for sure. If you get hot summers, you'll probably wish you had an entire wall of hardware cloth. As far as permanent ventilation, I believe it should be at least a foot above the highest roost to avoid winter drafts blowing on chickens as they sleep.
our summers aren't too bad here. 80-90 depending on the day can be cooler or warmer. We will have vents on the other sides that the windows aren't, soffits will be open along roof line etc. so there will be lots of ventilation. And yes windows will be above and off to the side of the roost bars so no wind will blow directly on the chickens.

That might do it....but....what if it doesn't?

Post a pic of your plans and the windows with dimensions.
oh no you want me to draw plans again? I have a few different plans that I got online and we are just kinda using those as a guide. don't have 100% dimensions on windows yet. there will be a spot about 3' long beside roost and nest boxes (well above it) and I think it should be around 1' over the birds heads when on the roost (but not doing it over the roost bars. Is there a way to keep rain from blowing in an open hardware cloth window?

I will do my best to draw up just one side of the coop and will post my inside plan again too so hopefully it will make sense. My husband still isn't 100% sure on the height of the walls for the coop either which makes it hard to draw up but will do it with the shortest that wall will be.

That might do it....but....what if it doesn't?

Post a pic of your plans and the windows with dimensions.
Hope these make sense.

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_103833571.jpg
    IMG_20210409_103833571.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210401_100918771.jpg
    IMG_20210401_100918771.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 2
Is there a way to keep rain from blowing in an open hardware cloth window?
Top hinged glazed windows :D

Do those sketches include the correct window dims?
It'e really worth the time to figure out the windows now.
Plan your wall studs around window size...might need a header.
Cry now or cry later.

Am in the middle of my own project right now so won't be able to look closely until this evening.

Top hinged glazed windows :D

Do those sketches include the correct window dims?
It'e really worth the time to figure out the windows now.
Plan your wall studs around window size...might need a header.
Cry now or cry later.

Am in the middle of my own project right now so won't be able to look closely until this evening.
Thanks. That was the size I am thinking but if we are just doing hardware cloth covered "holes" and then covering them up in the winter then we can change the size as needed. I am trying to let in as much light and ventilation as I can. so I drew them out figuring around 1 1/2' x 2 1/2' one for each side. what if we hinged the plexiglass? (can you do that?????) so we can open it that way? then have a lock on the bottom of it to close it up?

what if we hinged the plexiglass? (can you do that?????) so we can open it that way? then have a lock on the bottom of it to close it up?

Just put the plexi in a wood frame (aka make a window) and then top hinge the wood frame to the coop. You can use chains, latches, a stick for propping open, etc. to open it up.

Back
Top Bottom