coop design questions

Pics
A few pics of the roof on the run, still needs shingles. And the run with the trim over the HWC seams. Still not done but it is getting there and I feel safe going in the house for a bit with them out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_163423962.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163423962.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210524_163421388.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163421388.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210524_163344378.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163344378.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210524_163332590.jpg
    IMG_20210524_163332590.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 11
Any ideas on how I can set up some roosts in the run? I was thinking of putting them on the diagonal in a corner but wasn't sure if that would be too close to an edge? Also would I put them up high now or lower where they are still little then raise them? Anything else I should do to make the run more entertaining for them? They have a nice high stump in there to use but they don't use that at all yet.

Any ideas on how I can set up some roosts in the run? I was thinking of putting them on the diagonal in a corner but wasn't sure if that would be too close to an edge? Also would I put them up high now or lower where they are still little then raise them? Anything else I should do to make the run more entertaining for them? They have a nice high stump in there to use but they don't use that at all yet.

This shows some of the things I did in my run.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-“chickens-101”-articles-don’t-mention.76003/

Chickens will perch on just about anything. We owners are much fussier than they are. :D

I also have a couple overturned plastic lawn chairs in my run. They perch on them sometimes and I flip one right-side-up when I want to sit out there and enjoy my birds.

I do mine diagonally only because my run is chain link, so I simply jam branches through the fence openings. For your set up it's probably easier to do them parallel to the wall, using some sort of bracket for support.

Or if you want to do them free standing, something like a sawhorse should work.

I do mine diagonally only because my run is chain link, so I simply jam branches through the fence openings. For your set up it's probably easier to do them parallel to the wall, using some sort of bracket for support.

Or if you want to do them free standing, something like a sawhorse should work.
I have their brooder ones that I made in their coop right now since they don't roost on the reg roosts yet, But they don't use those in there until it is morning before I let them out. LOL They still huddle in a corner to sleep. Figure I will give them another week or two to adjust and then go out and put them all on the roost at dusk. We are still working on training them to go in the coop at dusk. Tonight I went out just before dusk and they were all at the run door screaming for me (probably since before this we have put them to bed early. LOL). I tapped on their ramp and called them and got 7/10 to come up the ramp and with a light "shove" got them to go in the coop. haahaa. then managed to get the last 3, 2 my husband helped and the last one finally came up on "his" own.

But they do like to roost when not sleeping at night so thought they may enjoy it in the run. maybe I will bring their brooder ones outside for now, but they are pretty little with how quick the chicks are growing. :)

Back
Top Bottom