Coop design

ArborChicks

Chirping
Apr 3, 2018
Central NY
On Saturday I am going to be picking up my first chicks. They are a group of 3 Gold Laced Wyandottes pullets and 3 Easter Eggers pullets. I am also getting an assorted mix of 8 Bantams, breed and gender unknown.

Their indoor coop will be about 9 ft x 9ft with roosts that go up as high as 7ft. What I need to work on is the outdoor run. Currently the area is connected to a 50ft x 100ft run with a 5ft fence. That encloser is inside an acre and a half fenced in area with 5ft fence as well. I can make a little coop that has a top cover instead of the big run, which I plan to do to acclimate them to the outdoors, but what is the likelihood that close to 2 acres of fences will keep them relatively confined?

I have a working farm with horses and goats, but the chickens are new. I do know that there is a greater chance especially of the bantams getting out but their primary goal is bug control so while I will be really sad if something happens to them, I would eventually like tyo get them out in the pastures.

It sounds like your question is in regards to your run rather than the coop?
If you are asking if a fence will keep your birds contained - the answer is yes and no. I have read that some chickens can clear fences 4-6 feet in height or more depending on the set up and the particular bird. Without a cover over the run, they would be susceptible to aerial predators and anything that can climb the fence. You would want to provide them with hiding spaces.
Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

Welcome to BYC!
Coops sounds of decent size, hard to say how far chicken will roam.
A good secure run, of adequate size, is a good thing to have.

What is your general geographical location....climate is important when giving information.
Adding it to your profile is easy, then it's always there!

upload_2018-4-3_18-8-15.png

Thank you both!

What is your general geographical location....climate is important when giving information.
Adding it to your profile is easy, then it's always there!

I will do this! My geographic location is kinda central NY.

It sounds like your question is in regards to your run rather than the coop?

Oops! You hit the nail on the head! It is the run I was thinking of. My newbie chicken learning is coming out! There will be lots of brush, honey suckle, and even some outbuildings for them to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom