Coop "division"

FloridaHen

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Highlands County,Florida
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/prevue-465-red-barn-chicken-coop/reviews/9869

This is the coop I have and am debating separating into possibly 2 different buildings, since I don't need the run part of it. But I need ideas... I was thinking of connecting them somehow and raising it on blocks like I did the coop, Possibly making the original run into a closed in roost? Or maybe into a closed in feeding area?

The run area is 10 x 10 with a 6 foot roof... I also have 10 chickens but soon to be 8 since the 2 Cornish crosses are getting a new Home soon...

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

I don't think that coop is big enough for more than 3 full sized chickens. My coop is 4 foot by 8 foot and I don't think it'll be big enough for my 10 chickens. I found the coop online and it said the dimensions of the entire thing (coop & run) were 5 foot by 2 foot. I would honestly build/buy a new coop or rehome some of your chickens if you don't mind a small flock.

I don't think that coop is big enough for more than 3 full sized chickens. My coop is 4 foot by 8 foot and I don't think it'll be big enough for my 10 chickens. I found the coop online and it said the dimensions of the entire thing (coop & run) were 5 foot by 2 foot. I would honestly build/buy a new coop or rehome some of your chickens if you don't mind a small flock.
almost all of them are bantams, once the 2 Cornish X's are gone , as I said am thinking of closing in the run part and making it a roosting area?

I still wouldn't put more than 4-6 bantams in there and if they are a mixed flock I'd probably stick with 5 even with the run enclosed to make a bigger coop because with the run enclosed the coop would still only be 5 by 2.

It wouldn't be hard to make an addition to it though. I would take off one side of the already enclosed part and just rebuild another room with plywood (probably go 4 by 4). It would be an odd shaped coop but it would work. If you absolutely can't add an addition, I would make sure the roosts aren't on the ground (like a 2 by 4 going accross the width of the coop). With it only being 2 feet wide, I'd go long ways or build multiple roosts but make sure they aren't directly under each other or they will get pooped on. I say to put the roosts off the ground because it gives them more floor space.

Make sure the chickens are getting plenty of time outside in a run or free ranged though.

I agree with sophiaw00 on the number of chickens in that coop... a 5'x2' coop would house (drum roll please) 3 medium hens!, and 6-7 bantams. (Maybe eight would be okay...
hu.gif
but that would be tight!) If I were to convert the run into a coop, I would cover the nest box-side with a sheet of plywood, and a plexiglass non-open able window, and block up the opposite side as well, but make a large door on that side for cleaning. Tear out the wall with the front door the chickens use now (to open up the coop). Install a floor of painted OSB board with some form of waterproof laminate on top. Finally, put wood on the run access side, but make that the new chicken door. Put in two or three width wise roosts, same level as your current roost. Cut some ventilation holes just under the gable's eave. Paint inside and outside to make it water proof, (Home depot 'oops' paint is great for this) and install some latches (not hook-and-eye.. easiest latch ever for a racoon to open). You could technically Build the run into a separate coop, but you would have to build nest boxes for the new coop and a new pop door for the old one, and to separate runs. Plus, if you keep food indoors (which reduces sq.footage anyway, by the way) you would be taking up more space because you would have to have a feeder in both coops. Easier just to keep it one coop or get another, if they have to be separated.

*pant pant * Good luck!
big_smile.png

What bantams do you have?

I agree with sophiaw00 on the number of chickens in that coop... a 5'x2' coop would house (drum roll please) 3 medium hens!, and 6-7 bantams. (Maybe eight would be okay...
hu.gif
but that would be tight!) If I were to convert the run into a coop, I would cover the nest box-side with a sheet of plywood, and a plexiglass non-open able window, and block up the opposite side as well, but make a large door on that side for cleaning. Tear out the wall with the front door the chickens use now (to open up the coop). Install a floor of painted OSB board with some form of waterproof laminate on top. Finally, put wood on the run access side, but make that the new chicken door. Put in two or three width wise roosts, same level as your current roost. Cut some ventilation holes just under the gable's eave. Paint inside and outside to make it water proof, (Home depot 'oops' paint is great for this) and install some latches (not hook-and-eye.. easiest latch ever for a racoon to open). You could technically Build the run into a separate coop, but you would have to build nest boxes for the new coop and a new pop door for the old one, and to separate runs. Plus, if you keep food indoors (which reduces sq.footage anyway, by the way) you would be taking up more space because you would have to have a feeder in both coops. Easier just to keep it one coop or get another, if they have to be separated.

*pant pant * Good luck!
big_smile.png

What bantams do you have?
I agree with the coop modifications suggested, but all that alterations just to have adequate room for 3 chickens? Might as well build a coop from scratch.

2 Cornish X-s =Brutus and Big Bertha (pretty obvious on their sizes compared to the rest)
3 Leghorn Bantam Pullets= Lucia, Lena and Lita (since leghorns are originally Italian they got Italian names)
1 Polish Bantam Roo= Phoenix (after the character in Judge Dredd)
3 Red Sex Links Pullets= Ruby, Opal and Pearl (because my "jewels" have one is more red and last has more white and middle girl is a good mix)
1 possible Black Australorp or a Black Java Bantam Pullet-Selene (from Underworld movie, she tends to go over and confront Brutus a lot...lol)

I had mentioned before about the Cornish X's going to a new home soon, so in all actuality am not bad size wise, the coop seems a lot more roomier than I had thought about in the beginning. But I am still going to do the renovations on it , simply because I do not need the attached run, nor am I handy with a saw and building a new coop... besides right now the money just isn't there for a bigger coop. It's called make do with what you have.

I was thinking of closing that door off to the nesting space because to me it seemed a waste, thought of using hardware cloth so it could breath, or plexiglass for a " window of warmth and light", during the winter months (yes some places in Florida do get cold...lol).

Brynda

Last edited:
2 Cornish X-s =Brutus and Big Bertha (pretty obvious on their sizes compared to the rest)
3 Leghorn Bantam Pullets= Lucia, Lena and Lita (since leghorns are originally Italian they got Italian names)
1 Polish Bantam Roo= Phoenix (after the character in Judge Dredd)
3 Red Sex Links Pullets= Ruby, Opal and Pearl (because my "jewels" have one is more red and last has more white and middle girl is a good mix)
1 possible Black Australorp or a Black Java Bantam Pullet-Selene (from Underworld movie, she tends to go over and confront Brutus a lot...lol)

I had mentioned before about the Cornish X's going to a new home soon, so in all actuality am not bad size wise, the coop seems a lot more roomier than I had thought about in the beginning. But I am still going to do the renovations on it , simply because I do not need the attached run, nor am I handy with a saw and building a new coop... besides right now the money just isn't there for a bigger coop. It's called make do with what you have.

I was thinking of closing that door off to the nesting space because to me it seemed a waste, thought of using hardware cloth so it could breath, or plexiglass for a " window of warmth and light", during the winter months (yes some places in Florida do get cold...lol).

Brynda
So just to clarify, you have 3 bantams and 3 full sized?

Even if the coop seems roomy, it won't when theres 8 adult chickens living in there. It will get smelly FAST and the ammonia isn't good for them at all. A chicken is supposed to have 2-4 sq feet each. Your coop gives them 1.25 each (5 x 2 = 10 divided by 8 chickens), which isn't enough. My chickens have 3 sq feet and I'm building them a new one because it's not big enough, but they are also all fullsized. I would reccomend building a new coop or finding a new home for some of your chickens, but that's just my opinion and yes you have to make do with what you have, but if the hens are stressing out because of lack of space they will hurt themselves, each other, and may even stop laying plus the coop will get really smelly.

LOL... funny as it sounds none are stressing out... since I have the coop on raised blocks, the GSL's, Polish Roo and the Black Hen have all moved in under it and like their little home, while the 3 leggies and 2 Cornish take up the upstairs... not sure why they chose this way but no one seems to mind it much. I just figured with the run I am not using since I have an enclosed 10 x 10 space... figured if I close it in it is extra roosting space.

That would work, but maybe consider at least putting three walls up around the part the GSL's, Polish Rooster and the Black Hen like to sleep under so that they are protected but can also stay in their little home?

Back
Top Bottom