1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Coop door latch advice needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OnceAroundTheBlock, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I had a small coop made by our high school carpentry class and there are heavy-duty wired doors on either side of the coop. One door will be the entrance into the secured run, the other door apparently is where I am to slide out the metal tray for cleaning or allow them out to free range.

I am pretty nervous about the one door that will always be the easiest access by any predators like racoons, possums, etc. Here is a picture most resembling the type of sliding bolt latch they used but I'm sure there must be something more secure that I can replace it with.

Any other suggestions? Or can I add some kind of a lock in addition to using this type of latch? Thanks for any advice given.

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use the kind of latches that have a long flat bar with a slot in it which fits over a metal ring. Intended to have a lock secure it, but I use a screw type carabiner. NOT the snap type, but the kind you have to use your opposable thumb and forefinger to tighten and loosen to get the carabiner open.

This is a photo of the hardware on the very first coop I ever built allll by myself. puff puff pant puff puff

[​IMG]

I'd show a better photo of the latch itself but I don't have one in my archives. Hopefully you can see what kind of latch and carabiner I'm talking about.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I have a sliding barrel bolt like yours, but it is larger and has a hole at the end where you can secure it with a padlock, or something. I don't want to hassle with a padlock, so each night I easily secure it with a dog leash clasp like this type:
    http://www.keyosk.co.uk/images-products/pr-key-accessories-key-clips-belt-clip-dog-lead-clip.jpg

Here's a picture of the type of barrel bolt. And I use leash clip in place of padlock (the leash clip hangs on a chain next to the door):
    http://pullig.dyndns.org/pics/barrel_bolt.jpg

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think you're right to be worried about that type of latch. With enough fiddling and rattling, a raccoon could open that.

5. Schroeder

Schroeder Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Songster

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:X2
    Exactly what I have installed and no way anything get's through it, only cost about $4.

7. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Exactly what I have installed and no way anything get's through it, only cost about $4.

I have the same one as well, but it was closer to $6 at home depot [​IMG]

8. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Songster

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson

I have the same one as well, but it was closer to $6 at home depot [​IMG]

Here is mine, but at Lowes it was right at $4.
    [​IMG]

9. Thanks all for the ideas. Tomorrow I'll take a picture of it and maybe once you see how little room I have on the door framing to add anything bigger, you can come up more ideas for me. I don't think there's even enough room for me to change styles.

I really do appreciate all of you taking the time to post.

10. Here's an actual picture of the coop latch. The picture is actually upside down...oops. I'm thinking about threading a piece of thick wire from side to side of the whole latch and twist it tightly to keep it from being so loose and prying fingers. I might not even have a problem with racoons because I haven't seen one in years, possums either.

Any better thoughts from you experienced folks? Thanks for any replies both current and past. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by