Coop door meets ice

Jul 11, 2017
Maine
Help every morning I try to open the door to my chickens it's frozen shut but not in the way most would think. I've had to boil water to get it unstuck but then the water freezes again so I need a better solution.

We have got a lot if rain and snow lately and when it melts we don't have a good way of draining the water

Attachments

• IMG955112.jpg
    IMG955112.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG955111.jpg
    IMG955111.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 16
I cannot imagine what the whole front of the coop looks like, but I have the same problem with my large barn doors every winter.

I would think about trimming the bottom of the door, with a chainsaw, and placing a stationary 4x6 or similar size board fastened at the bottom. That way the door should clear the ice.

I cannot imagine what the whole front of the coop looks like, but I have the same problem with my large barn doors every winter.

I would think about trimming the bottom of the door, with a chainsaw, and placing a stationary 4x6 or similar size board fastened at the bottom. That way the door should clear the ice.
I will take a photo tomorrow to show you but I should mention I'm a single mom who does not know how to use a chainsaw. I bought one brand new and within a week my ex broke it. Can't have anything nice...haha. thanks for the idea though. I think I read somewhere that candlewax will help but I don't have any candle was I have vaseline. I feel if I shave off the bottom of the door I may not have enough coverage to keep out the cold. The door almost rips off when I try to open it too so I'm just expecting it to break any day now it's so weak.

Old doghouse may not hold out much longer

Photo from 1 year ago

Back
Top Bottom