Coop Door

lin batt

Hatching
May 20, 2017
Will the chickens easily learn how to use a top-swinging door? I will have an enclosed run but will not be up early enough to open the coop door for them. Is a coop door necessary if coop & run are totally enclosed?

Will the chickens easily learn how to use a top-swinging door? I will have an enclosed run but will not be up early enough to open the coop door for them. Is a coop door necessary if coop & run are totally enclosed?

1, Chickens don't care which way the door opens. 2, you do not have to let them out at dawn, you can let them out when you are ready if you planned enough space. 3, No you don't "need" a coop door but it is an added layer of security. Ever think of an automatic coop door?

1, Chickens don't care which way the door opens. 2, you do not have to let them out at dawn, you can let them out when you are ready if you planned enough space. 3, No you don't "need" a coop door but it is an added layer of security. Ever think of an automatic coop door?
No power to coop. I work nites & sleep 5am til 1pm, so that's why I was wondering if they would use a top swinging door.

I was wondering if they would use a top swinging door.

Chickens are very adaptable creatures that being said the only answer I can think of is try it and see.

Not exactly sure if I am visualizing your proposed set up.

It may have to be introduced to the hens in stages to develop a learning curve.

Good luck BYC buddy.

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean about using a "top swing door". If there is no electric available and you're not out there early to open it, how will a secure door get opened no matter what the swing?

If the run is totally predator proof, you can leave the chicken door open and let them go in and out as they please. I do have a side hinged door I keep anchored and open, but use it if I need to keep them in or out for cleaning,maintenance on the areas.

Back
Top Bottom