Coop Fencing

DianeKB

Chirping
Jan 2, 2017
I'm sure this subject has been discussed many times before, but if possible please let me know your thoughts on predator proofing existing fencing with hardware cloth - wire gauge, method to attach to existing fence and cheapest sources.

Many thanks, you'all.

Diane Bresee in East TN

I'm sure this subject has been discussed many times before, but if possible please let me know your thoughts on predator proofing existing fencing with hardware cloth - wire gauge, method to attach to existing fence and cheapest sources.

Many thanks, you'all.

Diane Bresee in East TN
Attachment depends on what you have in place for framing.
I found 19 gauge galvanized 1/2" HC in 48" x 50' rolls on Amazon for $64 a roll.

Attachment depends on what you have in place for framing.
I found 19 gauge galvanized 1/2" HC in 48" x 50' rolls on Amazon for $64 a roll.[/QUOTE

Thank you! That seems like a really good price for hardware cloth. I'll post a pic soon of my existing fence. In the meantime, I've used zip ties to attach the green plastic hex fencing to block the larger openings of the wire fence.

PS - I'm a longtime dog person -Irish Wolfhounds, Bull Terriers and now Belgian Laekenois. We do arena herding trials and my dogs help me manage my livestock.

Pics would be best, the more the better. Plastic fencing will keep the chickens in, but most predators can chew or rip it easily. Are there chickens in there now?
I'm also curious about your Laekenois, how do you like the breed? Everything I've heard is that they are quite challenging. I've known a number of Groendale and Malinois, but haven't met a Laekenois.

Pics would be best, the more the better. Plastic fencing will keep the chickens in, but most predators can chew or rip it easily. Are there chickens in there now?
I'm also curious about your Laekenois, how do you like the breed? Everything I've heard is that they are quite challenging. I've known a number of Groendale and Malinois, but haven't met a Laekenois.

Hello there!

I have 13 Call ducks, Snowys and Greys. Love them. They're great for herding training.

The plastic fencing will be put inside the wire fencing as a temporary fix. The openings of the wire fence are large enough for a duckling to be grabbed through by a predator. I intend to put the hardware cloth as a permanent barrier. I've attached two photos of my duck pen which is roofed and attached to my barn.

Like the Groen, Terv and Mal, the Laeken is very much a working dog and needs a job. They need serious socialization as a puppy, and a committed, consistent trainer. I adore the breed! They are scary smart, athletic, affectionate and eager to please their owner. They are not a breed meant for everyone and are protective of family and home. We are very near getting regular AKC recognition into the herding group. Been on the parent club board for about 8 years and we've been working like crazy to fulfill the requirements. Attached is a photo of Trooper and I competing in an AKC trial.

Attachments

• duckpen2.jpg
    duckpen2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 16
  • duckpen1.jpg
    duckpen1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 12729129_1256122621069193_2700776478344595410_n.jpg
    12729129_1256122621069193_2700776478344595410_n.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 19
To attach hardware cloth to that wire you can use hog rings, J-Clips, sew it with pieces or wire, or use smaller pieces of wire by twisting.

You can use furring strips over the existing wood. Drill a pilot hole in the furring strip to prevent splitting and use a screw to clamp the furring strip down tight. Or you can use screws with fender washers to screw the hardware cloth on.

You can use hog rings, J-Clips, or wire to close the gaps in the hardware cloth where you don't have wood to screw to.

Last edited:
I'd add framing, so you can attach the hardware cloth to it, along with your existing fence. We used fencing staples, and then covered each seam with 1"x4" boards, screwed to the framing, which is mostly 4"x6" posts.
Thinking ahead about those raccoons reaching in, and two 100 lb. dogs tearing at it. For bears, electric is the only thing...
IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG
In winter we use two layers of rolled plastic (vinyl) on the lower 6' as a windbreak.
IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0622 (1).JPG All old pictures, but hope it helps, Mary

Back
Top Bottom