Coop Fire!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by herfrds, Feb 28, 2014.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    An electrical short started a fire in my coop this morning.
    Got all my birds out of that coop and they went into a building behind it. That caught fire too. Got all but 1 bird out before the smoke forced me out.
    Went out to check on my birds and found this chicken I thought I lost!
    She is alive, but all the feathers are singed off of her. :( Have her in a pet carrier in the house. Has no interest in water or food right now. Was shivering but is no longer shivering. Just laying on her towel, but will stand up on her own.

Should I force her to have water by opening her beak or just give her some time to get over the stress and shock?

2. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anything changed since earlier?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi I am so very very sorry about Your fire! That was very brave saving your birds! I would give her a bit of time to over come her shock. Keep her warm and in a nice quiet place. How badly was she burned? Is she breathing alright ? How are you doing? Are you alright? Is there any news you can update us with? I hope it all works out for you and again I'm so very sorry. This must have been very scarey. !!

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Wow,she managed to escape,so very sorry about fire,but unbelievable your girl got out,she must have some powerful guardian chicken flock angel.

Lift up feathers and look all over to make sure she has no burns. Keep her warm,do not force anything in her just yet,give her time to come around. Watch for respiratory issues as inhalation of smoke can cause damage to lungs/lining,which can show up hours later,watch her breathing.

Give her electrolytes for shock,offer some of her favorite foods to encourage eating.

How are you doing,still a little shaky,once the adrenaline rush is over usually you crash,take it easy.

Very brave person you are,going into the fire to rescue your girls/boys!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Just got home from work. DD took her some water but she is not interested in any yet. Going to offer her some scrambled eggs with corn meal; special treat; and see if she will eat.
    Checked her right way and she is breathing fine. No coughing or trouble there, luckily.
    Afraid to mess with the burned feathers.
    It is warmer in our other house so that is where she is right now.

I'm pretty tired and sore. Busy day. There was no way I could stand by and watch this fire kill my birds! I enjoy them too much.
    I just wish someone had been videotaping my chickens and guineas and my 2 royal palm turkeys getting tossed out the window![​IMG] have to laugh or I would cry.
    Chased the 2 ducks and the rest I couldn't catch out through the door. Dumb hen duck snuck back in but I heard her quacking and went back in for her. Shut the door so none could go back in.

DD helped me round them all up after all was said and done and put them in the brooder house. Picked up 2 new heat lamps. Too cold to not have some heat for them.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Understand about not bothering her now,but you have to check and see if she has any burns under feathers,could be serious and one reason she is not eating/drinking.

7. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Ok. I will check

8. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Just got in from checking her. Her breathing is a bit raspy, but expected from smoke inhalation.
    The 2 worse areas are her head and the end of her left wing. Her head concerns me the most. Her eyes are no longer showing because of the swelling. Did get her to drink some water. Took the top off the carrier and lifted her out that way. Put her on the ladder and she was happy to roost there. Dipped her beak in the water and rubbed the top of her head and she started drinking. Kept that up until she no longer swallowed. I do not think she could see the food or she might have eaten but I am just guessing there.
    Put some sawdust in the bottom of the carrier and put her back in there.
    Felt under her wings and she was warm under there against her body.

9. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You can cool the burn with a cool compress,this helps to reduce swelling,do not use ice. What isn't determined is if burn is 1st or 2nd degree. If skin blisters do not rupture. Usually you would cover a severe burn with sterile gauze to keep the air off,reduces pain,protects blisters,but this might be difficult b/c of location,just leave uncovered. Watch for infection,signs of infection:redness/swelling/oozing/bird becoming lethargic.

You can give her a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325mg) for pain,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Crush and place in water or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese) or sprinkle over feed,once pain is managed she may start eating. Keep her warm,when ill/injured birds cannot regulate body temp.

10. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    It is a first degree burn. No blistering. Giving her warm water with electrolytes. the burns are mainly around her waddles. Watching her closely. Have to go to work, going to have DD check on her while I am gone.
    Have a couple more birds with singed feathers but they are eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by