Coop + flood = swimming chicks!

Life is Good!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2011
suburbia Chicagoland
Should your chick tractor look like this? It's that tarp covered peak just to the left of the trunk of the tree. Held our January hatched chicks - 5 of 'em - they were dry on Wednesday night. Thursday morning, this is what we found! Yikes! Yet another 500 year flood through our 2 acre back yard.

And yes, our 10wk old chicks were floating high enough out of the water they were mostly dry. When we rescued the first two, the little cockeral tried to protect his hens by flying towards us - only to realize that he'd have to swim to get to her! Yes, Black Java chicks swim! Never knew that before yesterday!

Here's that same tractor and run last spring during construction of the tractor.

See that nice green field behind the tractor? Well, it's now home to 2pr of N. Am. waterfowl (i.e. ducks) and a 'pool' that's chest deep in the deepest parts. Of course, that's where the pump pit is located. Brrrrrrr....

Bathing suits anyone?!

With continuous pumping, it'll be dry in three weeks or so. Chicks are relocated to the barn, dry but very very boring after chasing bugs and eating grass. More treats!

I'm glad your 10 week old chicks did all right and it doesn't look like the water affected your main coop.. Our barn coop partially flooded. The water receded this morning, but I am hoping it will dry out before it starts to smell.

That must have been a shock to wake up to that! Glad to hear the little ones are ok.

Gracious, do I know the feeling. My coops were inundated as well... Finally there is just a bit of standing water, and the birds could actually go out in the yard today now that water has receded. BUT man do I wish for a week of dry days just so I can clean the mess and hope to some how prevent it from happening again.

Hoep you guys dry out soon.

Back
Top Bottom