Coop Floor Dilemma

Pics
Hi, there. I am building a coop for a chicken-filled future. I have read just about every BYC thread dealing with coop floors, have taken into consideration many contributors' suggestions and advice, viewed hundreds (probably thousands) of images of coops and runs... I didn't want to start a new thread without first doing my due diligence, but despite my best efforts at self-edification, I still can't make a decision about the coop floor. I'd appreciate some feedback, if you are so inclined...

Background info:
  • My coop will be 4' x 8' for 4 (maybe 5) hens
  • Run will be 8' x 8'
  • The ladies will free range part of every day and most weekends
  • It will be a walk in coop
  • I wanted a dirt floor for compost via the DLM
  • I live in Northern California in a semi-rural area; won't be a problem keeping things dry here
  • I've got raccoons, skunks, opossum, owls, hawks, rats, mice
  • Got enough hardware cloth for an apron around the whole perimeter
After reading, I am now worried about rats. I still want a dirt floor, but don't want rats in my coop.

Some things I've considered:
1) Raising the coop a bit, putting in a floor, laying linoleum or applying a water-proofing membrane, attempt a modified DLM
Pros: Increased critter fortification
Cons: Cost, more work/time, higher profile that might annoy the neighbors, losing the dirt floor

2) Burying hardware cloth under the coop (not the run) and burying it beneath enough dirt that I can still enjoy a dirt floor
Pros: I still get a dirt floor, increased critter fortification
Cons: Lotsa work/time, cost, not sure how long the hardware cloth will hold up and maintain efficacy

3) I've become paranoid and need to just go with my original plan
Pros: I don't have to spend any more money than I already have, I get the dirt floor I want, DLM is good to go
Cons: Possible lost sleep over critter concerns, having to admit hubby is right about the paranoia thing

Good gravy.
I am a hot mess.
:barnie

Help a girl out? What should I do? I'm starting to build THIS MORNING!!!! T minus 3 hours and counting..........

You're too funny!! I'm a planner and worry wart too!! I live WAAAAYYYY up north in New York, in the country. (YES NY has farmland!). Loads of predators!! I have a strange setup now but will be moving to a new, larger coop soon. I'm also devatdeb the floor type for the new coop. I know a lot of people use the deep litter method, turning it every few days. Chickens seem to like that, especially when they are what I call, coop bound. Meaning those that never go outdoors! Two of my hens came from that style home & are very happy to be out! I swear my leghorn said Thank you! Welcome to BYC. Be warned, its addictive

If you're reading some good, reputable resources/books/magazines, you'll do great.
Lots of misinformation there too, just like online, you have to look at all the info and find the patterns of sense/logic then carry on.....stay flexible and be ready to fix/rework something if it's not working

I agree that there can be TOO much information out there. If you look at coop designs on BYC, you will see a LOT of diversity. I am new to chickens (my 5 girls are now 15 weeks old) and I was discouraged with all the decisions. Luckily, I have a hubby who loves all the technical stuff, like designing coop area, lighting, etc.) while I'm the "mother hen" type, worrying about the chicks, their bedding, food, etc. I have made a lot of changes as I have gone along-if something doesn't work, change to something else. I even made it through almost losing a 2-week old chick who stopped eating, drinking, and peeping. I talked to a "chicken expert" and avian researcher at Purdue University, who walked me through what to do. She was the best! Today, Winn is right in there with her "sisters," healthy as can be. So use what works for you, and if it stops working, go on to something else. We have a lot of predators around here, so we opted for an underground barrier, plus electric fencing around the coop and pen. I have started leaving the coop door open at night, so they can get out of the coop as early as they want and go in to roost as late as they want. Of course, fall and winter will bring new challenges, but I'll figure them out! I wish I could free range, but we, too, have lots of hawks and eagles-I couldn't bear if something happened to one of the girls! Good luck, Aunt Angus! Can't wait to see a picture of the chicks!

@booth2010

Haha! Thanks for asking! :)

ALMOST done. I got really, really sick for a bit (nasty little thing I picked up in Vietnam - Dengue Fever), so construction was delayed. I just made the door this afternoon. All that's left is putting on the door and the roof. It will be done this weekend, for sure! The chicks are too big for the brooder now, and I feel guilty. But I am a teacher, and the beginning of the school year is kinda insane. Lots of meetings and late nights. We are heading into week 3 of the school year, so I should be good now.
  • 4 ft x 8 ft coop
  • 72 sq ft run (I will make it larger soon - waiting for parts to double it in size!)
  • About 12 sq feet of hardware cloth-covered ventilation that can be opened and closed as weather requires; roof gables will be open always and protected by roof overhang
  • EVERYTHING is painted and ALL seams are caulked and sealed over with waterproofing membrane
  • Shutters for all of the windows that will keep out rain/wind in winter (we don't get much rain here, though)
  • Run is partly roofed with steel roofing, but the whole thing is covered in hardware cloth
  • 2 nesting boxes made from old crates from my classroom - they have curtains, too, just because I wanted to make some (I am a girly girl in some ways)
  • Waiting for roosts because the birds are still so small; they will be 2x4s, not super far up because I have a Brahma
  • I have 4 chicks - super happy, healthy, active, and cute! They are getting BIG - need to get them in the coop ASAP
  • And it's SOLAR POWERED!
My coop *looks* good. Time will tell if that description's only "skin deep." I will post pics once it's all done (maybe - if I'm not too embarrassed - same reason I don't invite professional contractors into my bathroom - don't need the critical eye and unsolicited, after-the-fact advice). I did it all by myself, and I don't really know what I am doing, so it is not perfect.

It's perfectly imperfect.

I refer to it now as "Feathering Heights." My husband rolls his eyes. My son groans. I laugh evilly. Yay, bad puns!

Can you tell I teach HS literature?

Glad you're feeling better. I'm a retired teacher (beginning my third year of retirement) so I understand how busy the beginning of the school year is!
Your coop sounds lovely. I am always amazed at the diversity and creativity of coops I read about!
My coop's name is a sort of pun, too-must be that teacher thing. Our town's nickname is Z-ville, I think I have a "Cadillac" of a coop, so I call it Coop Z-Ville! Love your "Feathering Heights!"

I am now thinking I will not get chickens. There is too much conflicting information, and I don't think there is enough I can do.

Don't let conflicting opinions deter you. Everyone will feel differently about ways to do things. We have a dirt floor (we plan to start DLM soon) and put stacks of bricks around our structure so that if anything tries to dig, the bricks will fall on them. We also have a dog that pees around the coop all the time. We have bears, rats, mice, all sorts of things but have never had an issue. (although a rat did take up residence in our vacant duck hut, he never bothered the girls) The coop portion is up off the ground with run underneath it. Do what you think will work best for you and learn over time. That's my best advice to you.

Back
Top Bottom