Coop Floor Help

starr312

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
Hello! I am new on here and need some advice on what to use in our coop floor. We just built the shed and are still in the midst of converting it for our ladies. My husband wants to put rocks down on the ground inside... Is this an acceptable option?
IMG_0702 copy.jpg

Hello! I am new on here and need some advice on what to use in our coop floor. We just built the shed and are still in the midst of converting it for our ladies. My husband wants to put rocks down on the ground inside... Is this an acceptable option?
View attachment 2078443

The problem with rocks is that in order for the chickens to turn over the waste on the ground, they'll need to be able to scratch the ground. I would put something like wood chips or shavings or just more dirt. They are going to turn it to dust, regardless. The rocks will gather all the poo and it will smell. Ideally, industrial hemp is one of the best things to floor a coop with but, it can be rather expensive, depending on size of the coop.

View attachment 2078443
You have an earthen floor. I'd do Deep Litter Method (DLM). Just pile in a thick layer of pine shavings, dry leaves, whatever you have that's dry and just mix it daily to get it to compost. It will take a while to really kick off but it's a great way to manage the poop. But the idea is to have them poop into the coop litter, not a poop board. So you'd want to have open roosts.
In looking at your framing, you don't need the two shorter ramps.
What is the height of the upper framing?
What are the dividers for? How many chickens are you housing in this coop?

My husband wants to put rocks down on the ground inside... Is this an acceptable option?
Probably not...but what kind of rocks?

Lots of good questions above...also.....
Welcome to BYC! @starr312
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586267417542.png

Back
Top Bottom