Coop Floor- Sand or Deep Litter?

I know personally of a couple of cases where it actually occurred.  Also, I have read several articles on the subject.  An internet example can be found at http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/07/the-real-scoop-on-using-sand-in-your.html

Thanks for posting a link to this info. It seems to be another all too common case on this website of people posting opinions without telling the whole story. Chickens who get an impacted crop are young chicks. They mistake the sand for feed and eat it. This doesn't mean adult chickens suffer from the same issue. Adding this to your post may be helpful instead of just cherry picking a fact to support your opinion while ignoring the whole story.

Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of this forum as people who have chickens for 2 months are suddenly experts in all things chicken. I would rather have no information than a forum full of misinformation.

Please don't completely misunderstand me either. There are enough people on here that are experts and do know what they are talking about. The problem is wading through the opinions to get to people who have practical knowledge.

Alex

Regardless of what you have on the floor I would install poop boards. Mine have a little lip on the edge and then I covered the board with Sweet PDZ. I just sift through it every morning and put the droppings in the compost pile. Very quick and easy. Then whatever you have on the floor will stay a lot cleaner. I personally use a course sand I got from a local quarry and I love it. Nice and cool in the summer for them. Last winter I threw wheat straw over the sand for a little more warmth plus they had fun scattering it out and picking through it. I just added a little more every few days. When spring came around I removed the straw, used it in my garden and put down a little more fresh sand. One thing I like about sand it I buy it once and just refresh it every now and then. Very inexpensive. A truck load of sand cost about $25.

Thanks for posting a link to this info. It seems to be another all too common case on this website of people posting opinions without telling the whole story. Chickens who get an impacted crop are young chicks. They mistake the sand for feed and eat it. This doesn't mean adult chickens suffer from the same issue. Adding this to your post may be helpful instead of just cherry picking a fact to support your opinion while ignoring the whole story.

Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of this forum as people who have chickens for 2 months are suddenly experts in all things chicken. I would rather have no information than a forum full of misinformation.

Please don't completely misunderstand me either. There are enough people on here that are experts and do know what they are talking about. The problem is wading through the opinions to get to people who have practical knowledge.

Alex

You make a good point and I should probably post this article whenever the issue of sand in the coop or run comes up. However, if you read the entire article, its not just chicks whose health is threatened by sand, but adult chickens as well.

Regardless of what you have on the floor I would install poop boards. Mine have a little lip on the edge and then I covered the board with Sweet PDZ. I just sift through it every morning and put the droppings in the compost pile. Very quick and easy. Then whatever you have on the floor will stay a lot cleaner. I personally use a course sand I got from a local quarry and I love it. Nice and cool in the summer for them. Last winter I threw wheat straw over the sand for a little more warmth plus they had fun scattering it out and picking through it. I just added a little more every few days. When spring came around I removed the straw, used it in my garden and put down a little more fresh sand. One thing I like about sand it I buy it once and just refresh it every now and then. Very inexpensive. A truck load of sand cost about $25.
I found with using sand in my brooders that eventually the sand becomes mixed with pulverized feces and feed that can't really be removed.....and it can't really be composted once or twice a year like shavings can.

Last edited:
It's definitely been helpful having so many people explaining what works for them. Thanks guys!

I have been using peat moss and have read different oppinions on it. Have you guys tried it? Once this bag is gone Im going to move to pine shavings. The moss was left overs from a different project and we are new to chicken raising. You guys sound like you really know chickens, just looking for an opinion.

I really dont understand the flooring thing omg :( if i use a layer of 5 inch sand how long will this last? If i use pea gravel the hosed poop is ggoing under is not unhealthy for the chickens and ducks? I believe the best for me is pea gravel as long as its free but will i need to change it at some point?

We live in Bryan, Texas and are converting our cement floor storage shed (10x12) into our coop. The cement is extremely rough, would it be best to cover it with flooring or leave it bare? Any suggestions on the best litter to use?
We are placing a single roost (flat 2x4) in an "L" shape with the nesting boxes on the other 12' wall. Now that we are beginning, Im trying to make certain I've thought this through. Thoughts from anyone before the screws start flying?

We live in Bryan, Texas and are converting our cement floor storage shed (10x12) into our coop. The cement is extremely rough, would it be best to cover it with flooring or leave it bare? Any suggestions on the best litter to use?
We are placing a single roost (flat 2x4) in an "L" shape with the nesting boxes on the other 12' wall. Now that we are beginning, Im trying to make certain I've thought this through. Thoughts from anyone before the screws start flying?
Rough as in just not smooth....or rough in that there are sharp things that could cut a foot?
If you can walk on it barefoot, then the chickens can.....but if there are sharp points ridges that could cut skin, you might want to grind it down somehow.
A cut on a chickens foot can get infected causing a condition known as bumblefoot and can be nasty with a long treatment/healing time.

As long as the concrete does not hold water anywhere, I'd just cover it with 3-4 inches of pine shavings, but there are lots of options in bedding depending on how you plan to manage manure. Do a search on poop boards, will make your floor bedding lats much longer.

Back
Top Bottom