Coop floor

SteveandJayneO

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 10, 2009
Harpers Ferry Wv
In my other post I told of the playhouse coop, well the floor is of cedar, and after reading all or well most of the posts on here I think I am going to change it, be it paint,linoleum, or just straight hay. I am not doing wood chips in the coop.
thoughts on this
thanks
steve

I'd probably cover the cedar with linoleum.

I am glad I won't have to clean your coop if there is no litter. I hope you don't get leg injuries from their sliding on the linoleum or painted floor.

I'd use hay if I had a good source; I use straw and wood chips.

I would do the linoleum floor to protect the cedar base. I would then use the pine wood shavings to to absorb some of the "remains." That would he minimze odor and keep your bird living quarters clean.

I have linoleum on the floor, we put down DE and pine shavings every week after we sweep and mop it. No injuries yet. It works.

Guys, I am not doing just straight linoleum but if I go with linoleum I will throw a layer of hay on it, if I paint it it will be painted like the landing, a layer of latex exterior with play sand mixed in and done with a rough surface roller. I have found with previous animal enclosures that that works pretty well.
Steve

Quote:
I'm just a rank newbie, but I thought I'd share that I've been cautioned against having a rough (cement) surface...that it is much better to have a smooth surface. The issue is "bumblefoot" where the chickens end up getting sores on their feet and staph invades.

I would think that a layer of litter would definitely be in order with the rough sand-painted surface.

Just thought I'd pass this on to you,
FWIW,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom