Coop Floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kj7ty, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kj7ty

kj7ty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    Just got my coop put up, and it has a plywood floor. What's the best thing to cover the floor with for cleaning? Thanks. Mike

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I have an oped coop with a roof with chicken wire on the sides, well, its a huge mess to clean up after rain, because of the 2 inches of muds and chicken crap that is mushed up at the bottum, even one time a slipped and fell face first into this "junk" ewwwwww, so i have to take a showel and make ruts for the water to drain out of better.

3. kj7ty

kj7ty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    Oh wow! That does not sound like fun falling face first into it. I did the same thing with one of my horses years ago... Thanks, and have a good weekend. Mike

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you can find a piece of linoleum for the floor it will keep it from rotting and ease cleaning.

5. kj7ty

kj7ty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Lake Stevens, Washington
    Thanks for the advise on the linoleum. I think I have some laying around. Should make it easy to clean. I'm thinking about the deep litter method too. Have a good one.

Mike

6. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I use linoleum too...It matches the paint job so it coordinates,,,[​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    have an oped coop with a roof with chicken wire on the sides, well, its a huge mess to clean up after rain, because of the 2 inches of muds and chicken poop that is mushed up at the bottum, even one time a slipped and fell face first into this "junk" ewwwwww, so i have to take a showel and make ruts for the water to drain out of better.

LOL!!!!!! EWWWW & Funny Lacyloo!!!! [​IMG]

I use linoleum too...It matches the paint job so it coordinates,,,

Martha would approve Rosemarie!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    My coop has a dirt floor but I keep it littered with straw..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by