Coop Floor

joebok

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Vashon Island
I am new to chickens - just made a coop to house 3 barred plymouth rocks. I have a question on the flooring. My goal was to make a coop that was easy to clean - I thought droppings boards would be a good way to go. So I have 3 removable sections of parallel 1x2s with space in between for the stuff to fall through.

That is fine - my question is - can this be the floor (open to air below), or do I need a "subfloor" that the droppings boards will sit on?

I live near Seattle, Washington. We don't have very cold winters here - except every once in a while we get a couple days of freezing weather. Every book I read says you need a coop that is well ventilated but not drafty. In practical terms - does that mean you need a closed floor, or would a wire/droppings board floor that is open to air be okay?

Many thanks for any insights!

Joe

That would be hard to clean, solid covered with remnat linoleom would be easier.....we get so wet here I need to change bedding regularly, and water would seek in from underneath....at least where I am. I'm new too but its fairly cheap to get scraplinoleum...check out new development...do ask first...I got a 4 by 6 scrap one small cut...will do the bottom....for free. Try freecycle and craiglist as well. What chickens do you have.

im also new here but built/building a draft free coop. i just went to home depot and bought leftover linoleum for $10 plus the glue at $4 dollars. i have enough to recover twice if necessary.
i left the rafters open so air circulates. we get strong winds out of the gorge and im going to orient the coop to take advantage of that.
we got the roofing and hardie plank siding off of freecycle.com.

joebok, I use wire under my roosts and the poop falls through the wire.

4942_1115071643b.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom