coop flooring

My chicks haven't moved into there coop yet, but I am (and will) use the TSC version of Equine Pine. Works great in my brooder, chicks sleep, eat, and poop on it all day. Relatively easy to clean, not to dusty, sawdust from wet pellets sifts down to the bottom if shifted (doesn't billow up into the air and make you cough), is absorbent, and holds heat well. The only negative comment I have, really, is that the chicks started eating the wet sawdust their first day, so I had to shift the sawdust down to the bottom with my hands every few hours that first day home. They are a week old now and no one has touched the stuff since day one here, I guess it doesn't taste as good as chick crumble! : )

Mine aren't in their coop yet either but I plan to put pine shavings in their nest boxes and nothing under the roosts because their is a tray that slides out to clean the poo. In the run I'm going to use about 6 inches or so of builders sand because I read it is easy to maintain and in the hot summer I can wet it down and it keeps them cooler.

I have been seeing people using sand and I have the pine shavings. I want something absorbent and long lasting. I don't want to do the litter thing. I think I'll stick to pine shavings. =) I'm so excited! Thank you everyone for your input!

Back
Top Bottom