Coop for a warm climate

My coop is not completed yet but it will be an open air coop 12 ft wide x 16ft long. below is a picture of where we are on it now. Our summers here get very hot and we have mild winters.

69377_01-04-2011_coop3.jpg

The main solid wall on the north side will have the nest boxes against it. The second part of the wall on the north side is just half up for drafts and will have wire on the upper half. The area where the door will be is solid. Most of the coop will be wire. Hardware cloth wire on the bottom and a bit bigger steel wire on the top. Eventually we will have an automatic waterer installed but to start with we will still use the hanging water along with the hanging feeders. Add some ladder type roost and some fun roosts. (I will be decorating it here n there after we get the main coop finished)

Open Air style coops do very well in hot climates. In the mild winters you can wrap them with plastic for the few cold nites.

We live in Florida, USA on the Gulf of Mexico side. Temps range from mid 20F in winter to 100F in Summer. Here are pics of our open air coop/run with auto watering and feeding. We use Sand for flooring to make clean up easier. Egg boxed are 5 gallon buckets laid on their side with a plastic door mat in the bucket.

53005_p1230837.jpeg

53005_p1230830.jpeg

53005_p1230833.jpeg

53005_p1230839.jpeg

Hope this helps. Floor dimensions are 6' wide X 15' length X 6' height. We have 7 hens.

Very helpful banker john. This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. About the size I am hoping for.

Thanks for the link Gallo del Cielo and for everyones suggestions.

I'll work on my plans and post some pics for more advice...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom